Saturn Reads Tarot
Saturn Reads Tarot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Donate Here

Ads
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 Empty Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris

Post by Wotan Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:28 am

First topic message reminder :

This is my Starfield playthrough. As with all stories, click image to enlarge. Click links to view any NSFW shots and use my password. 

Sol Date: May 7, 2330
Argos Extractors Mining Outpost, Moon of Vectera

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230906102541-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230906102542-1

"Seals are good. Oxygen's good. Just do what you did last time, and you're fine. Follow my one simple rule. Heller, what's my one simple rule?" Supervisor Lin said. "Listen to Lin. Boss lady knows best," he said. "Exactly. Listen to me. Mining is just like any other job. Go steady, go safe, go home with a pocketful of credits at the end of the day." "Yeah totally, it's just like, um... working the stardock. Except more cave-ins, lasers, and accidental dismemberment. Ah, you're gonna be fine. Your first outing was solid. And let's be honest - it ain't exactly astrophysics. Yeah... and the fact that I can pinpoint a Helium deposit from three hundred meters..." "Not untrue. A shame we won't find any down here, but the metal deposits alone should pay for our own helium. Hell, after this, we'll have enough jump fuel to bounce from one end of the Settled Systems to the next," Supervisor Lin said. "More minerals, more money. And so the cycle repeats itself. Just no more unauthorized jumps into House Va'ruun space, okay?" "You know, most dusties don't even make it this far. I have a good feeling about you. One of these days, Heller, I AM going to leave you behind."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230906102719-1

"Okay, let's see what we've got. How are we on time? Remember, dusty, keep breathing steady. And never take that helmet off down here. Oxygen processors don't extend this far," Supervisor Lin said. "Yeah. Because God forbid we drill on a rock with a breathable atmosphere," Heller said. "You know what I love about working in Freestar Collective space: fewer regs. A job like this in the United Colonies? Heh. Reams of red tape. Ugh. Look at this one over here... Calvert! No! No no no! It's a laser not a sledgehammer. Ease up." "Yeah, yeah. Okay," Bening said. "What do we say, dusties? You make your cut, you get your cut. No exceptions. Come on. Pick it up!" Supervisor Lin said. "Minimal at this point. Occassional glimmer, but it's weak," Troy said. "Dusty, you're up. Grab a cutter and mine what you can."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230906103105-1

"Scanners reading a clean break. Shutting down," Heller said. "Let's go. Heller, get the readings," Supervisor Lin said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230906103120-1

"Not if you consider a spike in gravity readings a problem. We're getting close... I think... Everything is just... Lin, seriously. There's something really effed up about this..." Heller said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230906103335-1
As Aurora started mining the very rare mineral an artifact began to appear from inside of the deposit...

Back to top Go down

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 Empty Re: Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris

Post by Wotan Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:35 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230909213532-1

"I'm looking for a Vanguard named Moara," Aurora said. "He ain't been around. Went off on patrol. Hasn't been back since. Was starting to think it might be time to pour one out to the blackest sea," Jack said. "We could track him down if you know his patrol route." "Look, nothing more I'd love than to help out a fellow Matrian, escpecially one that's missing, but uh... It's a lot of credits, okay? I let it slide for a long time because he's a regular, but if I'm out all that money, I got problems. What do you say?" "Skip to the part where you admit you're lying," Sarah said. "You're calling me a liar? I'll throw you out of this bar, right now," Jack said. "Oh please. Two strangers arrive from off-world, asking for information only you have? You see an opportunity. Everyone always does. Lower the price. Don't think we can't find another way to get what we want." "He could need help. You shouldn't put a price on that. What matters more to you, the money or Moara's life? I want you to imagine him out there. Alone. And here you are holding out for cash. We could be the only ones who could find him," Aurora said. "And maybe he's not going to get found. I'm out the cash either way. That's enough. Either pay up or get out. I'm done talking about this," Jack said. 
Aurora presented a 1000 credit chit.
"Here's your money," she said. "Last time he was here, Moara kept yelling about the Lady of Love. Singing songs. All that kind of thing," Jack said. "Fine. We'll make do," Sarah sighed. "Lady of Love? Venus?" Aurora said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230909235555-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230909235716-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910000239-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910000352-1

"So. You must be the one who got me out of the red with the Trade Authority. Can't say I don't appreciate it, but I doubt you came all this way to do me a favor. Now you want to explain to me why you're going around, harassing nefarious old men by wiping their hard-earned debts?" Percival said. "I'm here to make a delivery for an old colleague of yours - Hadrian Sanon," Aurora said. "Hadrian sent you? She's... did-did she look okay?" "If you consider getting gored by a Terrormorph and living as 'okay', then yeah." "A Terrormorph? She's fortunate to be alive at all. Hope you two had plenty of back-up. So what's this she had you bring all this way down here after putting you in harm's way?" "Tau Gourmet's own free-range, 100% human-fed Terrormorph cells." "Terrormorph attack, huh? Not exactly sure why you'd be bringing that -- wait. Tau Gourmet? Like Tau Ceti Tau Gourmet? That's a joke, right? There's no settlement old enough on Tau Ceti to have a Terrormorph. Either someone's setting up the worst petting zoo in the universe, or... If she made you come all the way for this... let's get inside. I need to see those cells," he said. 

Back to top Go down

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 Empty Re: Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris

Post by Wotan Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:28 am

"Going to ask you to not touch anything. Got some projects in the works down here, and I wasn't expecting guests," Percival said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910000723-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910000730-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910000737-1

"Can't say I'm thrilled the Trade Authority got its mitts on the research, but I guess that's the price you pay not to live in a cave the rest of your days. All queued up. Let's gaze into the abyss, shall we? All right. Just get those cellular markers tagged. Wait... where are the markers... this-this can't be right. This sample... it's... I'll... I'll need to get this all in a slate," he said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910000836-1

"If you told me this was a hoax - and it'd be the best damn fake I've ever seen - I'd be mad and very, very relieved," Percival said. "The sample's not a fake. I collected it from the Terrormorph myself," Aurora said. "Can't just humor an old man, huh? I presume you've heard of Londinion?" "Hadrian mentioned it. Sounds like quite the tragedy." "It was. An entire city, wiped off the map. The swarms were so bad, they had to blow the spaceport and seal the place off from the galaxy at large. Not a lot of samples made it off-world from the time of the attack, but the ones that did... well, they looked just like this one. I didn't detect any telltale signatures this specimen ever sat on a ship while it was alive, either. I don't think it was transported to Tau Ceti. This specimen... it grew there. Faster than any Terrormorph should. Which means... if we're about to start a new era in Human-Terrormorph relations, where big, sudden Londinion-style attack can happen outside Londinion? That's not going to end well for humanity," he said. "It would be the end of us as a species," Sarah said. "So... you lugged this bad omen all the way here. You want to tell me what your plans are for it now?" "Orders are to take you and that analasis to Hadrian. She should be waiting at 'The Sixth Circle,'" Aurora said. "The Circle, huh? Could use a drink about now. Here. Faster if we take the lift to the surface. Not supposed to use it... but given the circumstances, I'm inclined to just ask forgiveness. Let's get going," Percival said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910001249-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910001729-1

"Hadrian. Our friend here showed me your sample. Suffice it to say --" Percival said. "Lou said we could use the back," Hadrian said. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:22 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910001837-1

"Lou gave me the abridged version of what went down. I can't thank you enough for taking care of all that," Hadrian said. "Makes two of us," Percival said. "I hope it ultimately didn't end up being too much trouble." "A little more gunfire than I usually like on my delivery jobs, but nothing I couldn't manage," Aurora said. "So, were the two of you able to get that work-up together?" Hadrian said. "Look exactly like the ones from Londinion," Percival said. "Londinion? That-that's exactly what I was afraid of." "Not thrilled to be the bearer of that kind of news, that's for damn sure. So tell me you've got some kind of plan for that work-up." "It's in the Archives," Hadrian said. "The Armistice Archives?" "To give us access, they want to see this analysis you two have procured. With both of us." "What's the 'Armistice Archives?' And what's it have to do with the Freestar Collective and House Va'ruun?" Aurora said. "The UC, Freestar, and House Va'ruun. They made a lot of decisions about what sort of tactics should and should not be permitted in future conflicts. Now its possible to get things out of there, but only with the agreement of members from all three factions. And as to what our research is doing there... well, I'll get to that," Hadrian said. "Doesn't sound like any run-of-the-mill data you're after. I'll take that explanation now." "Place I was hiding out? That was our unit's home base," Percival said. "After some early fits and starts at other facilities, the place eventually became the heart of UC Xenowarfare. A practice that's been banned ever since the Armistice went into effect almost 20 years ago... and the UC military cut us loose for what we'd done," Hadrian said. "Still doesn't explain what the Terrormorph data is doing in the Archives," Aurora said. "The project never got off the ground, but the data our team gathered is now sitting in the Archives, along with all the other information banned after the Colony War. Under the watchful eye of monitors from all the galactic factions still participating in regular politics. But if we can convince the Cabinet to help us access that data, it'll give us the tools we need to decipher what exactly this sample might mean..." "Why wouldn't the Cabinet agree to help us?" "I mean, I hope they will, given the evidence we've acquired. But getting the Freestar Collective and House Va'ruun on our side, that won't be easy," Hadrian said. "Since neither group is exactly on great terms with the UC at the moment. For various reasons," Percival said. "Exactly. But I don't see a better option to solving what's going on here, so it's going to be up to us to get them onboard." "Okay. Then let's go talk to this Cabinet," Aurora said. "Good luck. You two are going to need it," Percival said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910192229-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910192313-1

Venus, Sol System

Aurora looked at the slate she found on one of the Spacers in the Deep Mine...

Loyal to your crew, I get it. But screw that. Beg, borrow, steal, kill to get to Denebola I-b.
There is a Secret Outpost we're trying to crack. Once in a lifetime opportunity.
You will regret it for the rest of your life if you don't get your ass over here.

"Hello. What do we have here? See that cluster of ships? Va'ruun Zealots. You ever run into one? Completely devoted to a deity called the Great Serpent. The devourer of unbelievers. I'll let you guess what happens when they spot us," Sarah said. "I doubt they know where our Vanguard is," Aurora said. "No, but I think I see something that might. If we can get close to it, we could download its logs and figure out where our Vanguard was heading to next." "I'm opening fire. Thos Zealots are a threat to the whole system." "Easy. Three ships to our one. We cut down to minimal power and creep forward, they might not notice us geting closer. But yes, worst case we fight our way through," Sarah said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910192639-1

Aurora showed off her piloting skills, and where there had previously been four ships in orbit, now only the Frontier remained...

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:06 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910193203-1

"This is Vanguard Moara. To all UC affiliated ships, I'm heading to the Nova Galactic Staryard orbiting Earth's Moon. Yeah, I know, that whole place is decommissioned, but I need parts for emergency repairs. Hopefully it hasn't been picked clean yet." "That's not good. Earth and everything around it was abandoned a long time ago. And the old staryards are crawling with spacers and other scavengers," Sarah said.

Earth's Moon, Sol System

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910193420-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910193603-1

"There it is. Nova Galactic Staryard. Still orbiting Earth's Moon. This is where the first interstellar ships were made. People still use their modules, even though their staryard hasn't been running in forever," Sarah said. "Parts from an obsolete manufacturer still working? Impressive," Aurora said. "Oh believe me, the Frontier wouldn't be operational without it. Nova was more concerned about redundancy and open design. Interstellar travel was a big unknown then, after all. So even though the parts break down, it's easy to jury-rig a fix for almost anything. Nowadays starship manufacturers engineer complex modules you always have to buy whole-cloth."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910193827-1

"And you didn't even scratch the paint," Sarah said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910194035-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910194305-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910194426-1

"That was an Ecliptic Mercenary. What are they doing here? Scavenging a staryard is a bit low-end for them," Sarah said. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:43 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910194652-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910194936-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910195109-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910195601-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910195614-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910195822-1

This is Vanguard Moara. Sorry if I had to reclaim some UC property, but this whole staryard is overrun. I've repaired my ship, and I'm heading to Neptune.
Going to put in another request to get the Fleet out here to deal with these Spacers. But until then, if any of you thugs are listening, I'm the damn ghost stealing your stuff in the night. Clear out while you have the chance.

"He's almost daring the Spacers to come after him. It's actually not a bad plan. Much better odds destroying one of their ships than fighting them all at once here," Sarah said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910200700-1

Neptune, Sol System

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910200823-1

"Wait. You see that? There's a ship just drifting out there. No time to take in the sights. That could be our Vanguard. Something's wrong. The ship's weapons are powering up. Get ready!" Sarah said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:51 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910200853-1

Sarah opened a comm channel...
"If you stop shooting at us, we'd be more than happy to respond!" she said. "It's not me! Mercs hijacked my ship. White-lined a couple of them, but they've locked me down. Really could use an assist," Moara said. "We're going to have to board. Target the engines. Once they stall out, we'll have our chance."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910201022-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910202000-1

"That's it! Start the docking routine," Sarah said. 
A few moments later...
"All right, let's cycle that airlock and get aboard," she said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910202742-1

"Am I glad to meet whoever you two are. Looks like we're all in one piece. Any day you walk away from, right?" Moara said. "We're from the explorer's group. Constellation. We need to talk," Aurora said. "What? You guys still exist? Man, I've only heard stories." "We've heard stories too. About a strange object you found on patrol. It doesn't play nice with scanners. It'd be worthless to someone trying to flip rare minerals quickly," Sarah said. "S you're saying I shouldn't be using it as a hood ornament?" Moara said. "You were out on patrol for a long time. People were worried," Aurora said. "Oh that? Yeah. I mean, it's been a mess lately. Spacers, Va'ruun Zealots, plus Ecliptic tracking me down," he said. "We ran into a few members of Ecliptic at the Nova Galactic Staryard. I'm guessing they were after you?" Sarah said. "Ah damn. That's probably how they found me. I knew taunting the Spacers to meet me at Neptune was a long shot," Moara said. "Cydonia is waiting for you. Run down. Forgotten," Sarah said. "Feels like everyone's given up, you know? I've just been spending more and more time in the starfield. Sometimes I wonder if I'm really going back." "Maybe it's time to get out of Sol. I could use more crew," Aurora said. "I'd have to settle some things back on Cydonia. Maybe hit me up later?" Moara said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910203045-1

"If you don't mind, we came here for something. That strange object you found?" Sarah said. "Right. Hey, it's yours. Appreciate the rescue. Hope you figure out whatever that thing is," Moara said. 
Aurora grabbed the Artifact.
"Good work. Let's get back to the Lodge," Sarah said. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:27 am

Cydonia, Mars, Sol System

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910204316-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910204336-1

"Welcome, welcome. Nice to meet you! Name's Trevor, Mining Director for the Deimos mining project here in scenic underground Cydonia. I could spare a minute or two to chat, so long as you're not looking for mining work, I suppose," he said. "What's with the klaxons and the detonation announcement I heard?" Aurora said. "Oh that? Nothing to worry about. We do fracking on Mars with subterranean particle detonations. Those announcements are just to let people know when to expect them. You probably felt the rumble when the detonations actually go off. That's all it is to it. Not too bad, eh?" "Fracking with subterranean particle detonations? What's that?" "Hmm... basically, it's high-tech mining. We use immensely powerful controlled particle detonations deep underground to loosen up subterranean gasses and other difficult-to-gather resources so we can harvest 'em. Sounds way more dangerous than it is... Probably... Actually, it's still pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing," Trevor said. "Well now I'm even more concerned that particle detonations are happening around me all the time." "Oh, c-mon mate, it's perfectly safe. We're miles away, so all we get is a little jiggle now and then. Just make sure to hold the railing when going down stairs and you'll be fine." "How goes the mining operation here on Mars?" she asked. "Ey, not so bad for one of the oldest mine in the Settled Systems.We struggle with decent equipment, but we work hard and make up for it. That, among other mjor projects, makes us one of the United Colonies' most important mining operations. The prestige and pay that comes with it, almost makes up for being stationed at the ass-end of the Settled Systems in the middle of nowhere." "So you must be the boss around here?" "Joined up with Deimos when I was just 17 as a mining gopher. Go for this, go for that, you know how it is. I worked hard, proved myself capable, and got the promotion to Mining Director about six years ago, after the old boss retired. Some of the older guys resent me, but I give everyone a lot of lee-way as long as they meet their quotas, so that keeps 'em happy enough," he said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910210011-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910210022-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910210023-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910210215-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910210611-1

The Lodge, New Atlantis, Jemison, Alpha Centauri System

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910210735-1

"Go ahead. Do the honors," Sarah said.
Aurora added the Artifact to the existing ones...
"Is there anything new showing up?" Sarah said. "No, it's the same as before. There's a massive output as the Artifact is added, then it harmonizes. Like it's waiting for the others," Noel said. "Here. You've earned this. Welcome to Constellation. As a full member, this time," Sarah said. "It's an honor to be part of this," Aurora said. "We're going to do great things together. All of us. By the way, how would you like to keep traveling together? I'm not sitting behind my desk for this. These Atrifacts are a new chapter for Constellation, and I'm going to be out there for it. And I want you out there, as well. You got results. I need someone like you to watch my back." "Maybe later. Have a few personal errands to run." "Fair enough. But before you go, let me tell you about our other leads. First, there's an expedition that Sam Coe has been putting together. It's in Freestar Collective space, and he knows it inside and out. There's also the Eye, our starstation in orbit. About time for you to meet Vladimir. He's been hard at work tracking down anomalies. And last but not least..." Sarah said. "A courier from Argos Extractors came by to let us know they're packing up the operation on Vectera. But that's it. No other word," Noel said. "That's not good. We should get over there and check on Barret in person," Sarah said. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:41 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910211105-1

"Feel free to help yourself at the bar. I don't drink, but I feel like if I did, now would be a good time for one. Are you doing okay? I'm not sure anyone really asked yet. Don't want you to think we're focused on the Artifacts and nothing else. You matter too. You've done something really significant, bringing that Artifact here. I'm Matteo. Theological scholar by trade, but now... well, an explorer like you. It's really good to have you with us," he said. "What do you make of the vision I saw?" Aurora said. "I'm not going to lie, I really wish I could've seen this for myself. It's hard to judge otherwise. Both you and Barret saw something. I don't think that's a coincidence. Did it feel like it was trying to tell you something? I don't want to necessarily use the words 'Divine Revelation' but... you know, if the label fits..." "I know it's important, I can feel it." "It has to be, right? All of this is connected. We just need to figure out how and why. We're going to get to the bottom of this. We just need more data, which means more Artifacts," Matteo said. "These Artifacts all came out of caves?" "Second one was on Ka'zaal, burid the same as the one you found. But the first one... Right under our noses for years. Sitting in storage, masquerading as an oversized paperweight. Can you imagine? Potentially the greatest discovery in human history, collecting dust." "What brought you to Constellantion?" she said. "Well, there was some... overlap... in interests. I'd spent years searching for religious relics from human history. I had made a really incredible discovery, just to lose it to  greedy corporation. So I tried to steal it back. In the process, I met Walter. Turned out he owned the corporation. After a long talk, we realized we had a lot in common. And I was invite to join Constellation."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910211750-1

Aurora made good use of the research lab and manufacturing stations in the Lodge's basement.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230910212750-1

"Oh, I was hoping we might run into one another again! Your timing is most fortuitous. I'm on the verge of something, but I don't quite have all the information I need," Kelton said. "You never seem to have all the information you need," Aurora said. "Of course now that I understand more about what's going on, it seems plain as day, and yet I never would've umagined it before. They're listening! It means it is ready to reproduce! I believe this tree is sending vibrations out over massive distances, and expecting to detect sympathetic vibrations in return. If there's no response, the tree may vibrate itself - and some portion of the nearby city - to destruction. While it can't be ruled out that the intended recipient of these messages was cut down during the city's expansion, there is one other possibility. As a gesture of peace and good will, a near-literal olive branch, one of the trees from New Atlantis was offered to the leaders of Akila City." "That seems like a nice gesture." "Of course, you can't just uproot a native species and plunk it down on some other planet, in a totally different environment, and expect it to grow. Clearly no exobotanists were consulted ahead of time. The end result was wholly predictable: the tree died within a few short years," he said. "I don't understand how any of this is helpfuli." "If I had a branch from that tree, I could possibly work out a response to these vibrations. We could then broadcast that response, and hopefully calm down our friend here. But, as I say, I need that branch..."
Kelton explained that there was a branch in the museum in Akila City. Someone just had to convince the curator to give it up...
"I'll be back with it soon as I can," Aurora said. "All right, off you go. We don't have any time to waste!" Kelton said. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:37 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911120211-1

"I hope you are satisfied with the quarters available to you. Captain. Now that you are a member of Constellation, I am at your service, no additional protocols necessary. Also, given the likelyhood you will be out in unsettled space, it might be beneficial to go over exploration outpost development. In case you ever need to build a base for field research," Vasco said. "How long have you been a part of Constellation?" Aurora said. "I arrived along with many material goods purchased by the group's previous chair. Malcolm Livingstone. Despite several significant system replcements and upgrades, I have been online for forty-three years." "Do you miss Barret?" "My primary function has been to support and protect Barret during his travels. I am currently unable to do so. That is as capable I can be of 'missing' anyone. I believe Barret would find your question amusing," the robot said. "Protecting Barret must have been quite a challenge." "Barret has, thus far, survived every mission on which we have embarked. It is therefore evident that my efforts have been successful. I suspect that Barrret would disagree with how necessary my intervention has been in any given situation." "I could use you on my crew, Vasco," she said. "I will proceed to my assigned post."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911160150-1

Denebola I-B, Moon of Denebola I, Denebola System

Aurora decided to investigate the secret base...

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911160323-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911160334-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911160357-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911160529-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911160615-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911160623-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:32 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911160831-1

The chameleon ability that Aurora's space helmet - one she had looted some time earlier - provided would come in very handy while she snuck through the Spacer infested base.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911161028-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911161210-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911161329-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911161705-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911162338-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911162520-1

Of course, the chameleon ability wasn't perfect - a good eye could still spot the distortion, and it did not work while moving.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911162608-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911162707-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911162715-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911162846-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911162923-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911163046-1

But Aurora had everything she needed to make it through. She had decided to go in alone, to better make use of her stealth skills. Bringing a companion, they'd just alert every Spacer in the base - noy what Aurora wanted to do. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911163126-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911163427-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911163546-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911163708-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911163743-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911163851-1

After long last, it semed she made some progress...

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911164301-1

"Wait! Wait! Don't shoot! I am unarmed. Look, we can help each other? I can be useful! Just don't k-kill me!" Livvey said. "Spacers aren't usually the surrendering type," Aurora said. "It's because I'm smart. You've killed... so many. I'm nothing. No chance. So we can make a deal? This place is full of traps. Traps everywhere. I removed them. But this... This corridor is just too dangerous. See... it looks normal. One step inside -- slam! You are trapped. And nobody's been standing after the doors reopen." "How'd you deal with the traps?" "No, sorry. If I tell you that... then I lose my... leverage. They're ingenious. Took, uh, a lot of lives to tease them out..." he said. "It looks like this place really tore you apart." "It's true. So many of my crewmates are gone. And this corridor is the worst. But I figured it out. There are letters on the floor. It is a grid. Those letters must spell something. But there are so many words or small phrases." "How many words have you tried?" she said. "Five? Six? It's hard to find... volunteers. I really thought we had it with 'Am Mantis.' Poor Fred." "You're smarter than you look." "Why does everyone always say that? See, I've been helpful. You... You could let me go? Or better, I can help! I know these traps, I know how this Mantis thinks. Please, let me help -- and give me just a taste of the cache inside. You can trust me," Livvey said. "Just get out of here. I don't need you," Aurora said. "I have sacrificed... too much. No, I... I won't go. I... will fight you!"

Livvey reached for his hidden gun but Aurora finished him before he could pull the trigger.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911164802-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:26 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911170017-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911170214-1

Before navigating the trapped floor Aurora took out the laser turrets on the ceiling at the far end of the corridor. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911170528-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911170637-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911170728-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911170820-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911170917-1

The Mantis' spacesuit was a good find for Aurora - it was mechanised, allowing her to carry even more loot.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911171353-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911171734-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911231609-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911231625-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911232258-1

But it was the Razorleaf that was the true prize. Now it was time to check up on Barret...

Vectera, Moon of Anselon, Narion System

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911232311-1

"Well, you're back." "Lin." "Don't you 'Lin' me. I thought things had already gone sideways. But no. That was just the beginning. More pirates showed up when you were gone. We weren't as lucky this time. Calvert. Troy. Some of the new dusties. They didn't make it," the surervisor said. "We should have evacuated after the first attack," Aurora said. "It's not like we were eager to stick around. But we had injured people on recovery and pick-up coming at some point. Just not soon enough. Anyway, I was pinned down behind some crates with Barret. Bullets and laser fire everywhere. No smile on that damn carefree face of his, like he knew this was it. I started steeling myself to go out fighting, then that idiot puts his hand on my shoulder and says 'stay here, Lin. I got you.'" "That doesn't sound good." "Next thing I know, two of the pirates are dead, and he's got the third one in a headlock. Drags him out into the open at gunpoint and demands to talk 'or else I'm going to demonstrate Newton's third law on this guy' temporal lobe.' And that's when they brought out Heller," Lin said. "Tell me what happened." "I didn't overhear everything, but after the ten longest seconds of my life, Barret puts his hands up and both of them ended up getting taken aboard the pirate ship. And that's the last I saw of either of them." "A courier said Argos was packing up. Why not mention the attack?" Aurora said. "Too risky to put that in the message. Too much liability. You know how it is. Our clients need to know when operations start and stop. We handle the rest." "I need to find Barret and Heller, Lin." "They could have grav jumped anywhere. I tried pinging a transmission to the ship in the comms building before they left, but the pirate must've fried it. You want to try it, go ahead, but the odds of them being alive even if you could find them... I've lost a lot of people on this run, dusty. I just want to pack up," Lin said. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:07 pm

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911232937-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911233451-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911233724-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911233838-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911233922-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911234209-1

"So, you actually get that computer working again?" Lin said. "I found a transmission. From Barret," Aurora said. "Funny. Even knowing he's alive. I still never want to see him again. Heller, on the other hand... Okay, let me send you the location data embedded in the transmission. Find them, okay?" "Why don't you come with me?" "What? Really? Not really cut out for... whatever it is people like you an Barret do. But it might not be a bad time to think about a career change after... all this. If you have room in your crew for an outpost supervisor, maybe we can talk," Lin said. "Thanks Lin." "Be a while before Argos comes to pick me up. I'll be here if you need me. And het, if you ever need a little extra help, I've been thinking about a career change lately. Maybe it's time to put Argos behind me." "You're just the kind of traveling companion I ant, you should come along," Aurora said. "Works for me. I'm not fussy about assignments. I'll go where I'm needed. Good luck finding Barret. Keep an eye out for Heller while you're at it?"

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911234828-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911234907-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911234917-1

Hyperia, Moon of Magreth, Narion System

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911235259-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:01 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911235354-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911235354-2Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911235438-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911235640-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230911235720-1

"Oh, hey, it's you. And here I thought you were some pirate coming back to kill me. Lucky me, right?" Heller said. "You're on a lot of painkillers, but otherwise you're in surprisingly good health," Aurora said. "Considering the spaceship wreckage, you mean? Yeah, well, you missed the worst of it. Pretty sure we ripped throught all the emergency meds that were salvagable... Hey, you know, when I pulled you to the MedBench on Vectera, I honestly thought: 'shit, I think I just saved someone's life!' Oddly proud moment, you know? So, uh, guess I'm saying... Glad I paid it forward... Man, I was so terrified when I got pulled on board that pirate ship. Barret was all: 'Sorry, brother, I'll get us out of this. Trust me...'" "That doesn't explain the crashed ship." "Oh, I'm getting to that... He tells me we need to start pretending to fight each other. Trick the pirates into thinking they need to come in before one of us gets killed. I just remember him shouting 'This kid is a killer! How am I supposed to defend myself against these pearly whites? He's gonna bite my face off!' I mean, I didn't think it would work, but they came in. All of a sudden, we were wrestling with two of them. Barret reached for one of their guns..." he said. "Crash like this. Looks like he smashed the flight controls completely." "Bingo. Blasted the pilot in the back, through the flight console. Dropped orbit like a rock off a high-rise. I blacked out, and when I came to, there he was. Smiling like it was just another day on the job. 'You missed the fun part, Heller! I mean, I go through all the trouble of saving your butt, and you weren't even awake to notice!' Then he did a little... finger gun thing..." "He really survived the crash without a scratch?" she said. "Well... no, I don't think so. I caught him holding his ribs a few times. Favored his left leg a bit, you know?" "But Barret isn't here. I need to find him." "Oh, yeah. Probably should've talked about that first. Did I mention I'm on a lot of painkillers? So I was real excited when a ship showed up. Then less excited when I realized it was a Crimson Fleet ship. And then really, really les excited when Barret said 'ot's okay, I got this...' He mumbled something to them, and they were all gone," Heller said. "The Crimson Fleet has him. Again..." "I was drifting in and out, but yeah. I think so. Got a signal from the ship before they grav jumped. Guessing it was Barret. Haven't really been in a good space to have a listen. Here you go. Hey, uh, I should come with you, right? I don't think anyone else is coming..." "Let's get you on your feet first," Aurora said. "Yeah. Just, uh, don't ask me to operate any heavy machinery for a while. Give me a minute. I think the worst of it is... yeah. I'll be all right. I'll be all right. Ready to wisecrack with the best of them... Let me know when you want to gead out. Still think there might be a spot for me on your ship? I gotta get off this rock." "Yeah, let's get going." "Phew, I'm glad to hear you say that. For a second I thought you were gonna leave me behind. What's on the agenda today?"
Aurora motioned for Heller to get moving.
"You got it. Catch you on the flip side, boss. Thanks for letting me tag along," he said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912000754-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912000830-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912000840-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912000951-1

Bessel III, Bessel System

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:33 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912001601-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912001630-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912001649-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912002054-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912002110-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912002641-1

Aurora heard voices, one of them Barret...

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912002810-1

"Oh yeah. There's no certainty to the universe at all. Once you really start getting out there, the laws of physics kind of turn into suggestions," Barret said. "Youre pulling my leg again, right? What's the weirdest thing you've seen? No exaggeration this time," Matsura said. "Hmm... Let me think... Unicorn. Not kidding." "Wait. The mythical mare with a magic horn thing? Was king Arthur riding it too?" "Okay, it was more of an extremophile in the vague shape of a horse, but my point still stands. You need an open mind out there. You go into the far reaches of space too tightly wound, your brain is just going to pop like a soda can," Barret said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912002907-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912002917-1

"Holy shit. You actually found me. Well, this is turning into a regular Constellation party, isn't it? Should've brought drinks," Barret said. "Yes. I don't know why, but yes," Aurora said. "Well, you didn't need to worry too much. Matsura the Grim here is actually a wonderful host." "I have enjoyed our time together, Barret. But I can't just let you go, with nothing to show for it. Is Constellation willing to pay ransom in exchange for this man's freedom?" Matsura said. "Hasn't Barret been enough trouble? Just let him go," Aurora said. "You want me to end this with nothing to show for it?" "It would make sense to just go along with what I want." "What? No, that's not true," Matsura said. "Look, Barret is more trouble than he's worth. A lot of pirates are already dead." "He does seem to be unusually skilled in that area..." "You clearly get along with Barret. You're friends," Aurora said. "A rasnom isn't about how much one gets along with the hostage... Enough. I must insist on payment for Barret's release." "We'll pay. Here."
Aurora parted with 4000 credits.
"Goodbye, Barret. I have enjoyed our time together," the pirate said. "Likewise, Matsura! Good luck with  all the... you know, pirating..." Barret said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912003603-1

"You were just laughing it up the whole time?" Aurora said. "Hey, you're underselling my harrowing escape from certain doom here. A little charm goes a long way when the knives are out!" Barret said. "Who was that pirate, anyway?" "Matsura the Grim? Honestly, a pretty nice guy as far as pirates go. Think I butted heads with his mentor once, years back. Had the same kind of 'surprisingly hospitable' vibe."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912003632-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912003648-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:39 am

New Atlantis, Jemison, Alpha Centauri System

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912004223-1

"Sorry for the wait, everyone! Got a little held up on Vectera," he said. "Barret! We were worried sick," Noel said. "Well, some of us were..." "I see what you did there, Walter. And I know you've been secretly crying into your piles of money just waiting for my return," Barret said. "Actually, Walter HAS been complaining about you more than usual, which always is a sign when he's worried," Matteo said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912004527-1

"Wait. Is that? Ha! And to think the first Artifact was taking up dust on the library shelf. Now look at them all. You feel it a bit, can't you? Ever since I found the second one, had the visions. Being around them is just... comforting. So, hey, I'm still not a hundred percent, plus I feel guilty dragging you into all of this. Why don't I stick around? Help you get adjusted to the wird corners of the universe?" Barret said. "If you're coming with me, who's in charge of the Frontier?" Aurora said. "It doesn't matter to me. Never get too attached to ships. After the fifth or sixth time one blows up and you get marooned, the romance fades. Plus, the Frontier is a Constellation ship, and you're one of us now, so it's just as much yours as mine at this point." "Traveling together sounds good to me." "Marvelous," he said. "Curious feeling, knowing you've seen something that no one else has, that you know something no one else does," Walter said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912005631-1

"Thanks for taking the time to talk. I wanted to ask you about the Artifact you found on Vectera. When you pulled it from the rock... held it in your hands for the first time, how did you feel?" Sarah said. "I had visions, heard sounds and music... it's difficult to describe," Aurora said. "How did you feel... inside? What were your thoughts?" "It was like being instantaneously pulled across the entire galaxy." "When it comes to the Artifacts, it never ceases to amaze me how the science... well, simply fails," Sarah said. "Why didn't you bring this up back at the Lodge?" "Honestly, I wasn't sure how you'd react. Some people would consider what you went through a deeply personal experience." "I have no problem being open about these things," Aurora said. "The Artifacts are so different, so alien. And I'm certain one of them reached out and... 'spoke' to you. Quite the mystery." "Yeah, it definitely felt like it was trying to communicate." "Unfortunately, there's no way that I know of to reply, and believe me, I've been trying to gather data on the damn things for years," Sarah said. "What sort of data have you gathered?" "All I have to show for my efforts are eyewitness accounts, scores of inconclusive metallurgical test results and wild theories." "This whole experience must be ibcredibly frustrating," Aurora said. "It would be... well, an explorer's dream to solve a mystery like this." "Then we'll get to the bottom of this mystery, together." "Look, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to talk, and for keeping an open mind. And I also wanted to say... well, I'm pleased we're on this journey together. It's the best decision I've made in quite a long time," Sarah said. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:04 pm

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912121330-1

"I cannot wait to meet her. It's been ages since Constellation has had someone new. I wonder what she's like," Cora said. "Just go easy on 'em. Being interrogated by a kid ain't exactly the best way to make a first impression," Sam said. "I'll limit it to the really important stuff, Dad." "This does not bode well. And you must be the latest poor fool to get dragged into our dysfunctional little family." "And you must be Sam Coe. The Freestar Collective expert," Aurora said. "Whoa, I know a few dark sides of the Akila moons, but if you're looking for deep history lessons. Well... I'm gonna fall asleep before you do," he said. "Trust me. Don't encourage him. Cora Coe, by the way. Hi hi," the young girl said. "Good to meet you, Cora." "Nice to meet anyone brave enough to fly the Frontier." "Perfect! And you must be the new engineer... or maybe our new gunner?" Barret said. "Hey, don't spook our new friend. Frontier's a fine ship. Honest. Now let's talk business. Sarah tell you about the expedition?" Sam said. "Only that it was in Freestar Collective space," Aurora said. "Sure enough. That's where we're heading. The three of us are heading to Akila, first settled planet of the Freestar Collective and, not coincidentally, the home of their capital -- Akila City. We'll land in the city spaceport, but the frontier's our goal. It's rough country, spawned a lot of stories. And I got a lead on a tale that makes me think one thing -- Artifact." "Anything I should know about Akila?" "Yeah, don't pissoff the freestar Rangers. Far as the Collective is concerned they're judge, jury and executioner. They're the 'good guys,' but that don't make 'em any less dangerous. Outside that, just don't be an asshole," Sam said. "I'm ready. Let's get to it." "Okay. We'll meet you onboard your ship. Talk more when we get there. Once we land on Akila, it's gonna be you and me. So if you want to do any freewheeling before then, Cora and I will just be riding passenger."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912121735-1

"Here, this is for you," Barret said. "Thanks, but you didn't have to give me anything," Aurora said. "I knew someone who collected those things once... heh. Seems so long ago, now. Anyway, I figured you might have use for it." "Definitely. I appreciate it, Barret." "You're quite welcome. If I see anything on our next expedition to a planet then I'll hanfg onto it for you," he said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912122944-1

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" Aurora said. "I want to fly my own ship and go all over the place. Like you and Dad, really. But hopefully not as crazy as your travels. I thought Dad's were exciting. But yours...? Brrr," Cora said. "Do you and your dad really go everywhere together?" "Yup! I've been his co-pilot since I was old enough to read a map. He lets me fly sometimes and fix things aboard and use the intercom and everything! I just have to promise not to complain about having to stay aboard the ship when we're somewhere dangerous. Dad says when I'm older he'll teach me how to use a pistol, and once I'm a good enough shot I can go with him anywhere! I can't wait to get older."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912132304-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912132428-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912132446-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912132549-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912132704-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912133033-1

Akila, Cheyenne System

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:33 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912133317-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912133401-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912133524-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912133613-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912133952-1

"Hold it. By order of Marshal Daniel Blake, I need to inform you we've got some trouble at GalBank. Folks might be in danger, so you may want to steer clear," the security guard said. "Don't tell me someone got the drop on you guys again," Barret said. "Hey, you need to show a little respect." "Look, no offense, it just seems there's always some kind of trouble here. Price of a free society, I guess." "Is Marshal Blake in charge of security?" Aurora said. "Not usually, but he took charge of the situation because the bank robbers are part of the Shaw Gang. The Marshal's had a lot of experience dealing with the gang, so he's calling the shots," the guard said. "If people are in danger, then I want to help." "I guess that'd be the Marshal's call. Maybe a little outside help will do some good."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912134045-1

"You need to stand back. Now," Daniel said. "Sounds like you could use some help," Aurora said. "I don't mean to be rude, but I don't know you. Now please stand back." "There are lives at stake. Let me help you."
The marshal sighed.
"I wish I could say you were wrong, but I'm backed into a corner here. Some folks from the Shaw Gang tried to rob the place, but they got spotted by a guard. They're using the intercom to communicate," he said. "They must have made some demands by now," Aurora said. "They won't talk to me. Say they don't trust a badge. They want a neutral negotiator. In other words, they didn't plan for this so they're stalling while they come up with one." "Maybe I can talk some sense into them." "Hm. Alright. I'm willing to allow that, but a few things first. Say what you have to, but whatever they ask for, there's no way in hell I'm giving it to them. Also, there are lives at stake, so don't get cavalier. Find out what they want, and then report back to me. Hey! You in the bank! I'm sending a negotiator, so don't shoot!" Daniel said. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:24 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912134601-1

"Well if you think you're just going to walk up here and get us to surrender, you're dead wrong," the robber leader said. "This only works if you're willing to cooperate," Aurora said. "So tell me, stranger, how do I know you're going to deal straight with us?" "Because you're not the only one who's had trouble with the law." "Okay, so let's talk," he said. "Must be something you want, so start talking before I get bored." "Well you better listen up. We'll drop the hostages off somewhere safe in the system. After that, we'll radio back where they are and the Marshal and his crew can come and get them." "It could take a while to get you a ship," she said. "This whole damn job's gone wrong. It was supposed to be... just a quick hit,. Clean and simple, you know? So let's just... let's all try to keep our heads, yeah. Cause my guys, they're going crazy in here. I don't know how much longer we can last." "It's not too late to end this peacefully. There's no good outcome for you here. If you give up now, at least you'll still have your lives. This ends with your surrender or your death. It's that simple. Surrender now, before anyone gets hurt, and things will be a lot better for you. You keep this up and it's your funeral." 
"It could have easily gone sideways but you kept it together. Bravo," Barret said. 
Aurora returned to the Marshal.
"The Shaw Gang's making fools of us all," Frank said. "Those guys are scared, I can tell," Daniel said. "Those amateurs folded like a house of cards," Aurora said. "Is that so? And what did you say to make them fold so quick?" Daniel said. "I scared them into submission." "Hell, that works for me. Here. You've more than earned this. You got us out of a tough spot, and you did it with courage that's not common. If you're interested, head over to the Rock and ask for Emma Wilcox. She handles the new recruits." "All right. Now that lives aren't on the line, let's ge back in GalBank and see if we can get those maps," Sam said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912135758-1

Instead of waiting for the bank to open back up, Aurora went straight to the museum...

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912135839-1

"Hi! Please feel free to have a look around. It's the reason I started this place," Leah said. "I'd like to talk to you about a tree branch," Aurora said. "That... is not something I expected to hear today. I assume you're somehow associated with the United Colonies? I've received some odd messages of late." "I'm here on important botanical work. A tree is upset, and the consequences could be dire." "A tree is upset? You scientists are something else... Regardless, I can't just hand over museum property. And I must admit, I'm not especially inclined to help the UC, or New Atlantis for that matter," Leah said. "I can understand your hesitance. But this has nothing to do with the UC or the FC. There's a chance that people could get hurt," Barret said. "Don't try and lecture me, please. Well, I'm afraid you've wasted your time, because I'm not authorized, nor particularly inclined, to release any of our pieces. That includes hundred-year-old tree branches. Sorry, but it's staying in storage." "I really need that branch. All right. How much is this gonna cost?" Aurora said.
She put a thousand credits on the counter. 
"I think we can work something out. I can't believe I'm doing this... Please, return it in one piece," Leah said. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:46 pm

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912140733-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912140832-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912140909-1

"You got some business with me?" Emma said. "The Marshal sent me," Aurora said. "Well, if the Marshal sent you , that means he's looking to recruit you. Just so you know what you're getting into, I'll explain who we are and what we do. The Freestar Rangers ensure the safety and security of the Freestar Collective and its people. We might hunt down a fugitive, break up a smuggling operation, investigate a starship theft or put some would-be bank robbers behind bars. Whatever needs doing to keep the people safe, we do." "Don't most places have their own security force?" Sure, but we Rangers work across the whole of Freestar Collective space," Emma said. "I think that's admirable." "Like most things that are worth doing, it ain't alays easy. But do I think we make the Freestar Collective safer for everyone? Yeah, I do. I imagine you got some questions. I'll answer anything I can." "Are there a lot of Rangers?" Aurora said. "The number's always changing due to retirements, recruitment and unfortunately death in the line of duty. But as far as I know, there's never been more than a dozen Rangers at any one time." "What authority do the Freestar Rangers have?" "Well, in theory a Freestar Ranger can go anywhere in Freestar Collective space, even private property. But of course, it doesn't always work out that way. We also have jurisdiction over local security when we're tracking a fugitive," Emma said. "Is it paying work?" "I'll say right up front that if you're looking to get rich, this ain't the line of work for you. But yes, we do get paid from time to time, to help with expenses and such." "I know what I need to. Let's continue," Aurora said. "Okay, then. A word about myself. I'm in charge of making sure anyone who wants to be a Freestar Ranger is up to the task. That being said, the Marshal wouldn't send you here if he didn't think you had potential. So what's it going to be? Are you ready to sign up with the Freestar Rangers?" "How do I apply? Do I fill out a form or something?" "I prefer a more practical kind of evaluation. I'll give you the details if you want to join up." "I want to join the Freetar Rangers," Aurora said. "Just when do you plan to sleep between this and everything else?" Barret said. "Bedore I hand you a badge, I need to know you can handle the job. You helped with the hostage situation, but sometimes people just get lucky. Trll you what. Use the mission terminal and take one of the listed jobs, your choice. Come back alive, and we'll talk about you joining up," Emma said. "Okay, I'll do one of your missions." "Then I suggest you get going."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912141843-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912142006-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:50 pm

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912142527-1

"I just wanted to say thanks for the daring rescue back there. I had plans for Matsura, of course, but I appreciate the backup," Barret said. "You're welcome. Glad to help out a fellow Constellation member," Aurora said. "It's good to be part of a team, isn't it? To be part of something so much bigger than any one of us. So many things can go wrong out there... working with people you can trust is important. And that's why I've been in Constellation so long... it's good to have people who will help out when you're in a jam." "Exactly how often do you get into jams, Barret?" "Exactly as often as I need to. Jams are just sticky successe, right? At first it seems annoying but it eventually washes off," he said. "I'm glad to be part of a team." "Just wait 'til we get matching shirts and start having official cookie days." "I do like cookies," she said. "They're one of humaninity's greatest achievements: modern medicine, space travel, and cookies. I'm glad you joined Constellation." "You've certainly made my time in Constellation very enjoyable." "Well, I try to be welcoming to everybody who joins -- Oh. Oh, um... exactly how enjoyable? Wait, no! Don't tell me. Not right now anyway... just. Let me keep going. It's hard to imagine just who I'd be had I never joined up. And I never would have met Ervin or lost him, I suppose..." Barret said. "Who's Ervin?" "Ervin Madani was my husband. He was also a brilliant biologist who joined Constellation a couple years before me... He's gone now... I remember his bright smiles when I returned from my trips... more brilliant than any star." "I hope I'm not stirring up bad memorie for you, Barret," Aurora said. "It's not you, Captain. It's just been on my mind... I can't say why. Ervin's been gone for over twenty years. Strange how memories can pop up when you least expect it." "Sorry, Barret. I don't know what to say." "Yeah, don't worry. Logically I know I should be over it, but I'm not. And it's gotten worse lately. I've ignored my feelings about Ervin's death since it happened. It's time for me to confront it. I mean, where else would I get to dodge space pirates and discover new planets? On that note... I think I'd do well to distract myself with a little adventure for a bit," he said. 

Rana I-B, Moon of Rana I, Rana System

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912184441-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912184537-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912184545-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912184558-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912184808-1
Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912185059-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912185337-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912185552-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912185746-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912185917-1
Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912190109-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912190121-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912190312-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912190453-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912190558-1
Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912190804-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912191042-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912191141-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912192200-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912192209-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:50 am

Akila City, Akila, Cheyenne System

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912192916-1

Aurora returned to the Rock...

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912193032-1

"You're back. How'd it go?" Emma said. "I hope I helped make the Freestar Collective a little bit safer," Aurora said. "I'm sure you did, and Iäm glad to know that was your priority. You did what I asked, so let's go meet the Marshal. Follow me."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912193259-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912193308-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912193352-1

"We're headquartered in the upper floors of the Rock, but we also have remote stations throughout Freestar Collective space. Helps us to identify and respond to threats more quickly. Like I said, there are less than a dozen Rangers in all, and we operate with limited resources. Thankfully, most people respect us and are willing to cooperate," Emma said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912193429-1

"In this job, your eyes, ears and wits are every bit as important as your badge and your sidearm. Marshal," Emma said. "Emma. I take it you're here because you're satisfied that our new recruit can handle the job?" Daniel said. "Seems Like a fine candidate. Got the right priorities." "Alright then. Step forward, recruit. Let me have a word with you. I've got just one question. Do you pledge to defend the people of the Freestar Collective, even if it means risking your own life?" "Absolutely, Marshal," Aurora said. "Good. Here, take these. You're now a Freestar Ranger Deputy. I'm assigning tou to Ranger Wilcox for some field training. Listen good to what she tells you. Welcome aboard, Deputy," Daniel said. "Wish we could throw you a welcome party, but there's work to be done. We got word from a farmer on Montara Luna. She says someone's trying to take her farm, and she's afraid she might be in danger," Emma said. "What can you tell me about Montara Luna?" "Well, it's a moon that orbits Montara. It's got a breathable atmosphere, warm climate and good soil for growing." "Do we know anything about this farmer?" Aurora said. "Just a name. Mikaela Waggoner. There have been Waggoners on Montara Luna for a long time, and I'm sure they're proud of their heritage." "Sounds simple enough." "Well, most things do at the start. Doesn't mean they stay that way. That being said, best not to assume anything. Just try to keep an open mind. Grab any supplies you might need, and let's get going," Emma said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912201526-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:03 pm

Montara Luna

[/img][/url]Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912202444-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912202452-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912202531-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912202541-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912202620-1

"The Freestar Rangers. You have no idea how happy I am to see you," Mikaela said. "I'm Ranger Emma Wilcox. My Deputy and I are here to help, now tell us what happened." "I was out planting in the fields when I saw some men approaching. They looked like soldiers, with uniforms and weapons and such. They wanted to buy the farm. Didn't even ask if it was for sale. Their offer was so low that I told them right where they could stick it. They said they'd give me time to think about it, but if I didn't change my mind, I was going to regret it. Then they left." "You say they looked like soldiers?" Aurora said. "That's right. The uniforms looked like the ones worn by Freestar soldiers back during the war. They had a certain steel in their eye, like men who are used to violence. I was in fear of my life," Mikaela said. "How many men were there?" "There were four, but when they were walking away I heard them talking like there were others. Maybe there's more out there." "Any reason why someone might want this farm in particular?" Aurora said. "Nothing I can think of, no. Truth is, we're in some hard times here. The last harvest was the worst we've had in a long time. Besides, it ain't like there's a lack of available land around here." "If they're planning to come back, they must be somewhere nearby." "Back behind the house there's some canyons. They went that way. Oh, there's one more thing. They said they were the first. The first of what, I'm not sure, but there must be more of them coming," Mikaela said. "Thank you ma'am. That should be enough for us to find these men. Since these guys don't know we're after them, they're probably not making an effort to hide their tracks. Now let's go and check out those canyones," Emma said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912203035-1

"Quiet out here. I like it. Nice change from Akila City," Emma said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912203128-1

"Boot tracks. Several pairs, by the look. Not too old, either. Let's head down into the canyon and see if we can find more," Emma said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912203443-1

"Good eye, deputy. Looks like we're heading in the right direction," Emma said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912203539-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912203708-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912203850-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912203948-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912204056-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:50 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912204213-1

"They definitely passed this way. Let's just hope they're not perched up on these canyon walls waiting to snipe at us," Emma said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912204248-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912204435-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912205453-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912205506-1

"The standoff at the bank ought to keep the Marshal tied up for a while." "Wait, you mean that whole thing was a setup to keep the Rangers distracted?" "If the Rangers get in our way, then they get what they deserve. That's all you need to know. Now quit complaining at get back to your post."

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912205701-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912205709-1

"Damn! That was rougher than I expected. Let's talk," Emma said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912205820-1

"Are you okay?" Emma said. "Yeah, I'm good. Not my first firefight," Aurora said. "Really? Guess you've led a pretty exciting life, Maybe the less I know about that, the better. Let's search the area. Maybe we can find something that explains what these guys were up to." "What are we looking for, exactly?" "Hopefully we can find something that explains who these guys were and why they were after the Waggoner Farm," Emma said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912210211-1

"Find anything interesting?" Emma said. "Take a look at this," Aurora said. "Let's see what we have here. Hm, interesting. Whoever pulled that off must have been one hell of a ship-jacker. Speaking of which, let's get back and let Ms. Waggoner know that she's safe for now."

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:35 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912210709-1

"What happened? Did you find those men?" Mikaela said. "They were in the canyon, like you said. Unfortunately, it came to violence," Aurora said. "Well, it's good to see you're alright, then. They must have been crazy or desperate , trying to take on the Freestar Rangers. So who were they? And why did they want my farm?" "Know anything about a stolen HopeTech starship?" "HopeTech? The cargo company? Sorry, I don't know anything about that," Mikaela said. "We have a lead, but it's still too early to say." "They say the Rangers always get their man, so to speak. I'm sure you'll figure it out. I can't thank you enough. I'd hate to be remembered as the Waggoner who couldn't hold onto the farm that's been in the family for so long." "Just doing our job," Aurora said. "Of course. All the same, I'm grateful," Mikaela said. "If you have any more trouble, give us a call. We're in-system so it won't take long to get someone out here. Alright, Deputy, let's get back to the Rock. We need to report this to the Marshal," Emma said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912211158-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912211513-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912212420-1

Akila City, Akila

"What's the story on Montara Luna?" Daniel said. "That call we got from Waggoner Farm turned out to be a little more interesting than I expected. Some men were trying to run the Waggoners off their land. They tried to buy it first but when that didn't work they turned to threats. We confronted them and unfortunately it came to violence. None of them survived," Emma said. "You helped someone in need and came back alive. That's a job well done." "There are still some unanswered questions," Aurora said. "I agree. Until we see the whole picture, we don't know if Ms. Waggoner is truly safe. What did you make of these men who were trying to take the farm?" Daniel said. "They were tough and well-armed. Probably mercenaries." "If that's true, then someone must have hired them. Now, did you find anything that might give us a lead on why these men wanted the farm?" "They hired someone to steal a ship from HopeTech," Aurora said. "HopeTeh ships ain't exactly cheap. That thief could probably tell us a lot about these men you ran into." "There's something else. They were dressed in Freestar Militia uniforms. The unit badge was yellow on black with the number one. Didn't you fight in the Colony War, Marshal? That sound familiar at all?" Emma said. "The First Cavalry. I as in that unit for a while, but it was disbanded decades ago, after the Battle of Niira. What was left of it, anyway," daniel said. "That still doesn't explain why they'd want Waggoner Farm," Aurora said. "No, it doesn't. It just raises more qustions. It's a good bet that starship thief can help us get some answers. Ron Hope, the president of HopeTech, he might be able to help you find the thief. Just make sure you stay on his good side. He's on the Council of Governors, and they're the ones we answer to." "What can you tell me about Ron Hope?" "Pround, stubborn and smart. A self-made man. He built Hope

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:25 am

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912201556-1

"All right. We're here. You ready? Because once we get started, I'm going to be riding your tail till this is over," Sam said. "What about Cora? She coming?" Aurora said. "She stays with the ship, usually. Got a few more years to go before I let her swill whiskey in some backwater bar. There's something you should know up-front. I'm a Coe. As in 'Solomin Coe, first man on Akila.' That tale I mentioned before? The one I think is connected to an Artifact? It's something of a family legend. After planetfall, Solomon spent years mapping Akila. And he found a tiny little patch of nothing on his sensors. The kind of nothing an Artifact produces. He called it the 'Empty Nest.' Said it was a place even the wildlife of Akila woudn't go." "So we find this Empty Nest, and then the Artifact." "Solomon's maps are locked tight in the local GalBank. We'll be heading there," he said. 

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912234645-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912234829-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912234944-1

"All right. The family has a few different deposits secured in here, so let's look around. Here's a copy of the key. Okay. Now remember. Solomon was from an earlier generation, so it's not gonna be on a Slate. Big bundle of papers is what we're after," Sam said.

Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912235145-1Starfield, the story of Aurora Stellaris - Page 2 20230912235105-1

"Oh no. Jacob. Of course that old mule saw this coming," Sam said. "Sounds like we have to talk to him," Aurora said. "That we do. I was hoping to avoid the estate when we landed. Cora's gonna be so mad." "Sam. Level with me here. Tell me who Jacob is." "We really gotta do this?" he said. "Open up to me, Sam. Come on. We're going to the estate anyway. I'm going to find out." "Yeah, well, I don't gotta say it..." "We can't work together if you don't trust me," she said. "I know, it's just... it's personal." "There's no harm in just telling me." "Maybe... All right. Fine. He's my dad, okay? We're not exactly on friendly terms. He probably figured I'd come for the maps at some point, and got ahead of me. Family business just wasn't something I wanted to get into, you know?" Sam said. "What about Cora? She and your dad get along?" "Oh, god, that's the worst part. They're think as thieves. Last thing I need is Jacob in her life. Let's leave it at that." "Thanks for opening up to me, Sam," Aurora said. "Yeah, well. Sorry I'm such a pain about it. No forgiveness between me and my old man. It's, uh... Coe tradition. All right. Shall we?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next