Saturn Reads Tarot
Saturn Reads Tarot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Donate Here

Ads
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed Empty Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed

Post by Wotan Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:12 am

This is a visual novel. The setting is an Arthurian legend taking place in our time. Meet the pantheon and mythology of several cultures mixed together - including the Norse, Celt, Aztec and Japanese.
The NSFW screenshots will be hidden behind a link and password. Don't have it, you can ask me  Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 1f609
You know the deal, click on images to enlarge, click on links and use password to view the naughty stuff.
And without further ado, let us begin the story

Bore's home in the United States

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628003120-1

"Oh... I can't believe it, my little baby is all grown up and leaving me." "Look, I'm 21. And I'm just going to college for my graduate stidies, not running away to join the Foreign Legion," Bore said. "But... but... it's in another country. Surely there must be nice collegues here in America you could go to? Maybe here in Frostburg, so you could still live at home?" "You know I love you Mom. But I really want to go there, they've got some really interesting courses that aren't offered here in the US. And they did offer me a full scholarship." "Yes, and I'm very proud of you. I can't remember if you told me... what was it awarded for?" she said. "Oh, I won it playing poker." "Oh, you're such a joker. So much like your father, God bless his soul. He could always bring a smile to my face no matter how sad I felt." "Mom... please don't stat crying. The cab will be here in a few minutes," he said. "You're ll I've got left from your father. And now you're leaving me, too." "Mom, he died before I was born. I know he meant a lot to you, but you've got to think about yourself as well." "He was... he wa one of a kind," she said. "You know I'll always be there for you, Mom." "(sniff) Anyway. Remember to call my friend the moment you touch down in England, okay?" "I'm going to Scotland, Mom," Bore corrected his mother. "Same thing. About my friend... do you have her phone number? Do you even remember her name?" "Og course, Mom." "That's good. And don't forget your computer," she said. "Laptop, Mom. Don't worry, I'm just charging it, so I've got something to do on the flight." "It's really nice that even on the plane you'll be studying. Such a good boy." "I doubt I'll be working. Just playing games and relaxing on the long flight," he said. "Well that's good. Wouldn't want you studying too hard." " It's nice of your friend to help me get settled in. Where do you know her from?" "Oh, she's a friend from... back then. When your father was here. We all stayed on a ranch in Oregon. There was always such life and happiness, and we'd all... well... never mind, you don't need to worry your little head about that. Grown-up stuff. Anyway, Chloe's an old friend, and she agreed to help you get settled in Edinburgh. I'm so glad you'll have someone there with you," she said. "Oh, great, Mom's middle aged friend is supposed to be my minder. So much for freedom, welcome crazy cat lady," Bore whispered to himself. "(sniff) I can't believe you're leaving me." "Mom. I'll be back at the end of the school year. We can chat over Facial and everything." "I'm sorry, dear. Iyt's just... you remind me so much of your father. It breaks my heart to lose you too," she said.
Bore gave his mother a tight hug.
"I love you, Mom. I'll be fine, don't worry so much," he said. "Just... be careful, okay? Promise me. No drinking, or chasing girls, or gambling, or doing anything dangerous." "Of course, Mom. I'm an adult. I'm heading off to college. How would I have time to do these kinds of things?" "I love you. Call! Stay safe... come back to me... please," she said. "Bye Mom," Bore said.

Last edited by Wotan on Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed Empty Re: Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed

Post by Wotan Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:21 pm

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628003533-1

"Just me, my trusty laptop, and an 8 hour flight to sunny Scotland. Good thing I loaded it up with games from F95Zone. And that I'm alone in this row. Let's wait until we're off the ground before I start playing, though. Some things require privacy to fully enjoy. I'll just grab a nap first."
Bore closes his eyes and drifts off to sleep.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628003601-1

"You can run, but you cannot hide. We come for you, Winter Child. We come." "What the fudge. Crap. So much for sleeping. I hadn't had a dream about those fuckers for weeks. Why now? Let's boot up the laptop."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628003701-1

"Sounds fancy, doesn't it? See... I might have... lied. A little. To Mom. About why I'm going. I don't really want to think about it. Or the dog. But I've got some kind of magical ability, and a pack of undead dogs following me. I need to learn to master my powers. And I need to get back at whoever sent that fucking dog."

Back to top Go down

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed Empty Re: Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed

Post by Wotan Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:04 pm

"Oh, look... Landlady & Flatmate has a new update. I wonder what those fine pervs have added to this game... it's by far my favorite open world game. It's a little weird to be playing it on a plane. I gues that hot stewardess might pop over and spot it at any moment. It's kinda sexy. I'm sure she'd be so impressed by my runaway libido she'd pull me into the nearest toilet and induct me into the Mile High Club. Yeah. That ain't happening, sadly, real life doesn't work that way. I guess I... could take the laptop into the toilet for some private time? Once the rest of the place is asleep. Does it still count for the Mile High Club if you do it alone? How about a digital waifu?"

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628003533-1

"Laptop is out of juice. But it lasted me all the way across the Atlantic. We're about to land. Edinburgh here I come. This is going to be awesome: ancient castles, high culture, people elegantly drinking tea. I wonder if I'll get to see any of the Royals? I think there's a castle somewhere in Edinburgh."
"Touchdown... let's go see if I can find Chloe. Hopefully she's not some crazy old cat lady. I'll grab a bus into the city center."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628003940-1

"Now... Chloe lives at a building called 'The Crowlet.' I wonder if that's some kind of Manor House or something? The Crowley, off the Royal Mile. I love the sound of this already."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628004001-1

"Welcome to the Aleister Crowley. Walk in, Crowl out! The finest pub in Edinburgh, serving only CAMRA approved ales and fine spirits!" "What? So this is a pub?" Bore said. "Not a pub. The World Famous Aleister Crowley's Public House. Recently reopened under new management... after a full restoration project." "It seems kind of empty for a World Famous bar." "Very funny. I'm just getting started," she said. "You said it was renovated? It looks... old." "It's been lovingly restored to its original condition, an immaculately preserved fragment of a bygone era. Bloody job it was, too." "What was wrong with it?" he wondered. "Well, all the blood, first of all. As I said. Pain in the ass to get out of the wood, and the cushions were a complete write-off. Then there were the claw marks, but I think I covered those up pretty well." "Wait a moment... what happened here?" "Oh, nothing, nothing. Nothing to worry about at all. Would you like a drink?" she said. "Should you really be running a bar in a place like this?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:57 pm

"Oh yeah. And I've gotten in touch with some additional security to help prevent any future... mishaps. He should be here any day now," she said. "Like a bouncer?" Bore said. "Soooooorta. Yeah. Let's go with bouncer, that sounds normie enough." "What do you mean?" "Well, obviously the Crowley primarily serves the Magical community here in Edinburgh," she said. "Magic?" "Yes? Mages of all stripes, genders, and shapes. Like you." "How can you tell?" he wondered. "You were trying to hide it? Damn, you suck at this." "I'm just here for the University. Doing post-graduate work." "Oh, cool. In what?" she said. "Applied Thaumaturgy, I think it was called." "So a mage-im-training, in other words." "I giuess. I just... have some card tricks. Used to train down at the quarry, back home," he said. "Well, fascinating story, I'm sure. My, how time flies. Now, are you going to order something?" "Later. I'm looking for someone. Chloe Abbot?" "That's me. How can I help you?" she said. "No, she's like... old. 40, at least." "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you say that. But I'm the only Chloe here at the Crowley." "That can't be right. I'm looking for someone my Mom's age... I'm Bore, I was supposed to get in touch with Chloe when I got here..." he said. "Ah... you're Jannice's boy. Huh, you look older than I expected. But... yes, I can see the resemblance to your father." "Did  you know my dad?" "Oh, very much so. In a most biblical way," she said. "What?" "We used to fudge like bunnies, your father, Jannice, and I, in that huge bed back on the ranch. Good times." "I really don't want to know. Also... that was 22 years ago... that can't have been you," he said. "Getting old sucks. And with magic, it's easy to patch away the planned obsolescence." "So you could live forever?" "Barring any incidents involving teetch and tentacles?" she said. "Yes..." "Well, no. Not really. Keeping up appearances, as it were, gets harder and harder the longer you do it. At some point it takes more energy than you've got, and... poof." "Poof?" he wondered. "Yes. Poof. I'm not going to get into the grisly details. Poof will do." "Wow. So my mom... is she also a Mage?" "Gods, no. Jannice's the least magely person I've met. Though she had her own... magic... of course. Those gorgeous eyes, that body, and she could suck like the intake on a jumbo jet," she said. "Need... mind... bleach. How about my dad?" Oh, he was magical alright. Not a mage, though... to his kind, magic is as natural as breathing." "Can... can you tell me anything about him?" he said. "Not right now, cutie. Here, have a seat, let me get you a beer." "Thanks." "That'll be £10," she said. "Dammit," he muttered. "Did you say something?" "No. Here you are." "So... you're applying to be my bouncer," she said. "Wait... I am?" "Yeah? Do I look like I run a charity just because I used to fudge your dad?" "I'm going to go with 'no' on that one," he said. "So. The scuttlebutt is that you're stufying to be a Evoker, right?" "It says so on the admissions paper. But I've got no idea what an Evoker is." "That's good. Never hurts to have a good bruiser around. You've already done your degree, right? What did you study?" she said. "Physical Education." "Strange. Wouldn't have pegged you doing that. Do you have any working experience?" "I worked at the local bookstore during the holidays. Pay wasn't much, but I had la lot of time to study," he said. "Well, at least you've got a decent head on your shoulders. Geek." "I guess..." "Okay, you're hired. Room and board included, but in return you're on call in case there's anything I need exterminated. If you want to actually get paid, you'll have to come down in the evenings when the crowd fills and put in the hours," she said. "Just... like that?" "Yes, of course. As I said, I needed some additional muscle, and Evokers don't grow on trees. Yours is the room on the far left. Just drop off your stuff there." "Okay. Do you need me to help out tonight?" he said. "Nah, it's kinda dead today. Go explore the town, take in the sights. I'll have work for you tomorrow." "Will do. See you later."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628004918-1

"This is actually surprisingly nice. I've been up for hours. I'll just have a... quick nap."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628004941-1

"Damn, I needed that. Okay, let's do a little exploration. I wonder how Edinburgh is at night? The guidebook mentioned the historic streets of the Grassmarket. I should check it out."

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:31 pm

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628005017-1

"It's got all the old buildings, winding alleys and charming pubs I imagined. It also smells quite distinct. Of piss. Which I didn't expect. I guess all that beer has to be returned at some point. Wait... what's that in the alleyway? There's... something happening there. I just know I'm going to regret this. I can see the headlines... stupid American tourist stabbed to death in dark alley of picturesque European city. I... I still need to find out what it is."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628005057-1

"What on earth is that. There's a weird... glow."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628005107-1Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628005110-1Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628005121-1

"Who are you? Are you okay? Are you... real?" Bore said. "Run. It is coming," she said. "Well, that's something you don't see every day back home." "You must flee. I closed the Gate, but that will not hold it for long. If you are here when it emerges... it will kill you. Run!" What are you talking about? Is there some drunk chasing you? And why are you carrying a sword? Is that even legal in this country?" he said. "You must believe me. You are in grave danger." "This is some kind of prank, right? Let's play games with the stupid tourists? Or some kind of cosplay event?"

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628005208-1

"It is too late. It is here," she said. "Though... that thing looks prett fucking real," he said. "Flee you fool!" "Mom didn't raise me to run away from danger. And I ain't leaving a cute girl to be eaten by a reject from Dungeons & Dragons." "It is too powerful for us to fight. Go! I will hold it as long as I can," she said. "Not happening. And you, buddy: if this is some kind of prank, this is going to suck for you. Deal cards." "Wait... you are an Evoker? Perhaps all is not lost, after all." "As I keep telling you lunatics, I have no idea what an Evoker is. But I ain't losing at poker, and we're not getting killed today," Bore said. "I can try to aid you. Do you consent?" "Whatever you say, princess. Do your thing." "It... it is too strong for us. I am truly sorry, brave knight. I should not have gotten you involved in my troubles," she said. "I'm not fucking done yet. Don't you have more tricks like that magic shield?" "I am... almost out of energy. That monster has been stalking me since I left Court." "You can do this. I believe in you," he said. "Very well. I shall try one more thing. But all I have left is a simple blessing. I fear it shall not be enough... Excalibur, aid me now! Cast BLESS!" she said. "Show me the sugar, baby."
Bore felt his wounds healed in an instant and a powerful shield protecting him...
"What is going on? That is not Bless... I do not know what spell it is, but surely not what I cast," she said. "Don't ask me, I just play poker. Whatever you did worked like a charm. I feel like I could arm wrestle a battle tank right now," he said. "Magic does not work like this!" "We can worry about metaphysics later, princess. I've got some bovine ass to kick."
With a powerful spell Bore killed the creature...

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628005658-1

"We did it. You did it. You have my gratitude, brave knight," she said. "I can't believe we killed... whatever it was. I was certain we were goners," Bore said. "My father will be mad with worry for me: I was due hours ago. Forgive me, my knight, but I must leave you." "Wait. What the hell just happened here? What was that bull-thing doing here? Who are you?" "So many questions. I fear I cannot answer them all," she said. "Will I see you again?" "Perhaps. The Paths lead all places. But I must leave before my father call the Hunt for me. Thank you, dear knight. I am in your debt." "Goodbye Emily," he said.
"What the hell just happened here? Who was that girl? What the hell was that creature? This city is totally nuts. I hope to see her again. She was gorgeous. Weird as fudge. But gorgeous. Well... this day couldn't get any stranger. I better head back to the Crowley."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628005849-1

"The bar's already closed up and it's not even midnight. So much for world famous. I should find the wash room, clean off the... whatever the hell that thing was. I wonder where Chloe is? Never mid, I'll make sure I don't accidentally walk in on her showering. She'd rip my head off. Literally."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628005849-1

"Does that mean I'm going to be bouncing things like that out of a pub at closing time? Argh, i give up. I just need some sleep; tomorrow, everything will make sense."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628005919-1

"Where did that cat come from? I guess Chloe is a bit of a crazy cat lady, after all. Crazt, for sure, and now there's a cat. What a pretty little cat you are. You've got gorgeous eyes." "Why, thank you." "You're welcome. Wait. Who said that?" Bore said. "Me." "Cats don't talk. There's some kind of trick here." "Are you sure you're actually a mage? You're denser than tungsten," the cat said. "See, that's what I mean. What kind of cat would talk about tungsten?" "One that appreaciates the effects of modern weapons on dragons? Anyway, why are you standing there, naked, arguing with a cat? You look like a crazy person." "Just when I thought today couldn't get any stranger," he said. "Let me make this easier for you..." the cat said.

https://ibb.co/KNVTQC4

"What... the... fudge," the baffled Bore said.

Last edited by Wotan on Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:50 pm

"See, it all makes sense now, right?" Chloe said. "Everything makes perfect sense, yes. Nice tits, by the way," Bore said. "I know." "Shouldn't you be wearing some clothes?" "That's adorable. You're actually blushing," she said. "Yes, well... I'm not used to naked cat-girls showing up in my bathroom." "So cute. Are you a virgin?" "What? No!" he said. "a pity... though I guess with an Evoker it doesn't matter that much." "What do you mean?" "Nothing... nothing to worry about. My, aren't you happy to see me..." she said. "If you're just going to stand there and admire my erection, why don't you give me a hand with it?" "Perhaps. Have you been a good boy?" "You know what, I'm just going to go with this. At least the day will have a happy ending," he said.

https://ibb.co/k12cptV

"So what happened? You smell of adrenaline, blood and magic. I'm assuming it's more than the usual drunken scuffle at the Grassmarket?" Chloe said. "I don't want to... wait, you can smell that?" Bore said.

https://ibb.co/vYXJjLb

"Yes, of course," she said. "Despite me showering?" he said.

https://ibb.co/St6LL7d

"It's all over the room, and you've got the smell of something's blood in your hair. My nose is always quite sensitive after I change," she said. "So is there a halfway state? Ears and tail, but otherwise human?" he wondered.

https://ibb.co/zSpSMhW

"Perhaps you'll find out some day? But for now, let's deal with your... problem," she said. "Oh, that feels good. Don't stop," he said. "Cum for me. Cum for your landlady..." "Ooooh. God that fee... Wait. Did you snoop on my computer?" "Yes, of course. A girl has to be careful; who knows what kind of pervert I've invited to stay with me," she said. "Keep going, don't stop... So you saw my game collection?" "You really should put a password on your computer. You never know who might tale a peek." "I'll rmember. Keep stroking," he said. "Do you ever dream of Jannice when you jerk off to those games?" "What? No!" Never." "What do you fanatasize about then? Which character do you prefer?" Chloe wondered. "I usually go for the Ice Princess. There's something so satisfying when she stops being a bitch and falls in love with me." "Ah young love. Or at least lust. Speaking of which, do you want me to stop?" "Don't you dare, keep going. I'm almost there," he said.

https://ibb.co/mcRNZZH

"I love a good pearl necklace," Chloe said. "That was nice. My ex never let me do anything like that," Bore said. "That's a shame." "Can we do it again?" "Right now? My, you're ambitious..." she said. "Well, no. Some other time." "Perhaps... think of it as a performance incentive." "So if I work in the bar, you'll... incentivize me, from time to time?" he said. "If you... go above and beyond the line of duty, I may from time to time give you a... small reward." "I like the sound of that." "Maybe you'll find out if there's a halfway state between can and human?" she said. "Cat-girl sex! This town rocks." "Good boy. Sleep tight, tomorrow is a new day." "Yeah. I should really go to bed," he agreed.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628010626-1

"Rise and shine. Today is a bright new day. There's supposed to be a 'maticulation ceremony' at the University. I should probably head there. I wonder how it'll be? Especially when you consider how weird the rest of the city is."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628010640-1

"It'll be awesome. New friends, hot girls, maybe we'll go grab a beer or something later. I love the social part of college life. I wonder if they've got a fraternity here I could join? Anyway. I should get dressed and head out."

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:48 pm

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628010857-1

"You must be Bore!" she said. "Who on earth are you, and how do you know my name?" he wondered. "Well, obviously you're an Evoker. Ain't nobody else with that kind of aura." "Aura?" "Aye? Everyone's got one. Your is all flame and fire. Says Evoker all clear-like," Katie said. "What the hell in an Evoker?" "Im am the Evoker. Fire burns before me. Death walks behind me. In the centre, there is only me. Didn't your parents teach you any of this?" "My mom doesn't believe in magic, and my dad left before I was born. I guess he might have been a mage of sorts, but..." Bore said. "That's... weird. Evokers usually only appear in families with generations of strong mages." "Okay... wait. Can you rewind a bit? What is an Evoker, and why is everyone so exited about it?" "Evokers channel raw energy, usually as heat or shock or something. We're the sword of humanity: the monster hunters and dragon slayers," she said. "Doesn't sound like me. I just play poker." "Well, auras don't lie. And the admissions proctors usually aren't that incompetent. You must have known this when you applied, right?" "I think I accidentally applied while drunken shitposting. Nobody was more surprised than I when I saw the admissions email," he said. "Well, I guess that's one way to get to Uni. So you visualise your magic as poker?" "Yeah. It's really weird, like I can use cards to focus energy at things. But they're not even real cards or anything." "That's just your mind trying to make sense out of the raw chaos of quantum foam," Katie said. "So... you see playing cards as well?" "No." "What do you see, then?" he wondered. "Do you promise not to laught?" "Of course." "I see them as gems, that I kinda... match," she said. "So it's usually games?" "Usually something with both chance and choice. It symbolises your mind finding possibilitie from chaos." "So the other guy, whoever I'm fighting... he's not seeing the poker game?" Bore said. "Nope. He's seeing his own reality. Whatever that is." "Interesting." "Well, I'll be buggered on a Sunday... looks like the Court is in session," she said. "What do you mean?" "Those two. They're from the Court in Exile. Arthur's lot."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628011201-1

"Who's the guy?" Bore wondered. "The King in Exile. Not often you see him outside Elsewhere," Katie said. "Elsewhere?" "Ye really are fresh off the boat. You've never heard of the Paths to Elsewhere?" "No... wait. Emily said something about the Paths yesterday. That the Paths lead everywhere, I think," he said. "That's be Her Royal Highness Emily Pendragon yo you, peon. Heir to the Throne in Exile, Keeper of the Flame of Camelot, Protector of Excalibur. Hah." "What's so funny?" "Because Excalibur was lost with Arthur 1500 years ago. And they're still clinging to that silly title. Tell you everything you need to know about the Courts, really," she said. "Hey, she's looking at us. Emily!" Bore said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:08 pm

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628011317-1

"How does someone like you know someone like her?" Katie said. "We played poker with a bull yesterday. I think she's coming over. Hey Emily!" Bore said. "Ah feck. Bloody royals. I'll go... powder my nose, or something." "See you later."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628011349-1

"Greetings, Bore. How strange that we should meet again," Emily said. "Indeed," he said. "What strange twists of the Paths led us together here?" "I could ask the same; are you going to study here?" "Yes. My father has decreed that I study here, beter to understand the Old World," she said. "That's awesome. Are we in the same course?" "Possibly. Today is only for Masters students, so it is likely we will at least share some classes. I will be studying Enchantment. And you are, of course, doing Evokation." "I think so, yes. It's all qite confuring, to be honest," Bore said. "Yes. The ways of the Old World are... strange to me, too." "Whereas it's all the magic that's strange to me. So I guess we can teach each other." "I think I would enjoy that," she said. "Wait, I think your dad's coming," he said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628011457-1

"Greetings, Father. May I introduce Bore, who assisted me most ably last night," Emily said. "Hi?" "Emily, we do not have time for this... person. I am needed back at Court, once I have formally introduced you to the Dean," Erec said. "Always nice to be appreciated," Bore said. "He saved my life last night... at great personal risk. I owe him a personal debt of honour," Emily said. "Anyone would have done the same," Bore said. "Ignore him, and come along. Let us not be as tardy today as you were yesterday," Erec said. "You mean when she was nearly killed by a monster out of a nightmare?" "I was not addressing you, fool. Now, Emily. We are leaving." "Would it kill you to pretend to be polite?" Bore said. "I am being polite, peasant. Now, get out of the way of your betters... unless you think your parlour magic can stand up to that of the Heir of Arthur," Erec said. "Bring it on." "Father! Enough. I owe Bore a debt of honour: you will not insult him like this. Nor will you cause a scene on my first day of University," she said. "It's okay, Emily," Bore said. "I will respect your request, daughter. Let us not waste any further time with this... child," Erec said. "Oh you fucker." "Ignore my father, Bore. Thank you, ever so much, for your help yesterday. Without you, I fear I would not have lived through the night. Or worse, it might have captured me," Emily said. "Maybe you could join me for dinner on Friday in return?" "That sounds interesting. I would appreciate seeing more of this world. "That's a date, then," he said. "But now I must really go or my father will become irate," she said. "See you."
"Well, looks like I've got a date with a hottie this Friday evening. Things are looking up."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628011639-1

"So... did you enjoy your run-in with the visiting royals?" Katie said. "Yes and no," Bore said. "Oh? It looked like as if you were about to be roasted alive there." "By that prick? No way." "Don't assume that Erec Pendragon is incompetent just cause he's an asshole. The old coot is over 300 years old, one of the most powerful mages alive," she said. "And Emily? Is she like 150?" "The princess? Nah, she's only 20 or so. Most people don't start using energy to slow down aging until they get older." "And you?" he wondered. "Oh, I'm 100% natural. Evokers rarely grow old enough that old age is a problem anyway." "What do you mean, Evokers don't grow old?" "Ah, you'll see. Don't worry so much; it'll be fun," she said. "I guess." "Live fast. Die young..." "... leave a beautiful corpse," he said. "Dunno about you, but I'm leaving a fucking mountain of corpses. All of them extra well done." "You're crazy. Fun, but crazy." "Most people just call me Brass, though," she said. "Strange nickname, but I guess it goes with the hair." "My ex gave it to me. Said I was to cheap to call Bronze. I decided I liked the sound, so I kept it." "Okay?" Bore said. "After I broke the wee cunt's nose for callin' me cheap trailer trash, of course." "Of course." "Ah, I think something's happening. Let's head inside," Katie said. "After you, milady."

Last edited by Wotan on Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:57 am

"Looks like we're thelast to get here," Katie said. "Yeah."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628011849-1

"Welcome, everyone, to the opening of the new intake of students for the Master of Arts in Applied Thaumaturgy." "Wow... she's kinda hot." "She's older than electricity," Katie said. "What do you mean; she's like 30." "Mages live a long time, Bore. Unless the don't, of course. Sarah's been around since my gran's time," Katie said. "Wow, that's well preserved," he said. "If you say so. Now shut up, I want to listen to this." "Okay." "We're very happy to see the incoming class of young mages. Welcome to the post-graduate portion of your studies," Sarah said. "Maybe I'll finally find out what the hell this is about." "Many of you have already completed your magical undergraduate studies here, or at Glasgow, or down at Loxbridge. For others, like our overseas and Elsewhere students, this will be a first introduction to the British Applied Thaumaturgy program." "That'd be me," Bore thought. "Before we go on, I'd like to go through some bookkeeping issues. This Masters course is largely project based; your supervisor will give you detils about the specific classes." "I should make sure I attend those. I'm totally clueless about this." "You will be expected to meet up with your Supervisor at least once a week to discuss your progress," Sarah said. "Sounds good." "Once we're done here, we'll be dividing the groups by area of specialisation and introduce you to your Supervisor and course mates." "What specializations?" Bore wondered. "As always, the Esoteric Magic cohort makes up the bulk of the intake. If you'll follow Professor McMug down the corridor to Lecture Theater A, she'll walk you through your planned syllabus." "What's Esoteric Magic?" "Hedge Mages. People with some random quirk or talent, like fortune telling or weather sense. No real power, unlike the major schools," Sarah said. "There's a university course for that?" "There's a university course for anything someone is willing to pay tuition for. Now stop muttering to yourself," Katie said. "Okay." "Next up, Healers. We're very proud to continue our partnership with the Royal Infirmary in providing cutting edge bio-thaumaturgical training," Sarah said. "Bio-what?" "For some of you, this is the starting position to entering the full Medical Doctor course, while for others this offers a stepping stone into magical bio-research." "Healers. huh? Sounds useful," Bore thought. "If you'd kindly follow Dr. Wong down to Lecture Theater B, she'll help introduce you to the course and your practical rota at the infirmary." "A healer sure would have been useful when that bull-thing jumped us." "Now, to my fellow practitioners of Ceremonial Magic, I will be your Course Supervisor. If you'd kindly head to Lecture Theater C, next door, I wil be joinig you shortly," Sarah said. "Almost as many as that first group. Strange, I think they're all girls. Looks like it's just me and Katie left." "So. We have two Evokers this time. It's rare enough that we have one. I hope neither of you will destroy anything critical during your stay here at the University," Sarah said. "Of course not." "Unlike your brother, Miss Maclachlan. Or your father, for that matter." "Is your entire family Evokers?" Bore wondered. "Not all, but quite a few these last two generations. Gran had a fling with something damned powerful, and it kinda suercharged the bloodline," Katie said. "Wait, so you're not fully human?" "You're one to talk." "What do you mean. And is this really a course just for the two of us?" Bore said. "Thank the Gods for that. I don't think I could deal with more than two Evoker students at one go. Most hooligans just deface the statues; they don't melt them," Sarah said. "We'll be on our besr behavior, Madam." "That's Miss. Or Professor. Or Doctor. Never Madam." "Yes, Miss," Bore said. "Good. Now, there have been some staff changes. Professor booker had an unfortunate accident and will not be available to teach Evokacion this semester." "What happened?" "What usually happens if you're found on top of Calton Hill wearing steel armour during a thunderstorm," Sarah said. "Ouch." "Bloody Evokers, you lot will be the death of me. Anyway, the infirmary says he'll likely pull through, though he's still prone to uncontrollable muscle spasms. So there's that." "So... who's teaching us?" Bore said. "Please, please, please don't let it be her," Katie whispered. "Come now, that'd be fun." "No it wouldn't." "Anyway, let her finish speaking," Bore said. "I heard that. Anyway, we were fortunate that the University found us a replacement teacher. While his academic background might be a... little unconventional... he comes with strong recommendations from several of our alumni," Sarah said. "Why?" "Finding an Evoker over 35 is damned hard, and finding one that has the patience to teach is even worse. Anyway, I'd like to introduce you to the Adjunct Lecturer who'll be your course supervisor for this year," she said. "Hi."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628012247-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:23 pm

"I'll let Miss Reiner finish first, so she can get off with the other thots. II mean young students," he said. "Okay." "I heard that, Mr. Torman," she said. "Busted." "Apart from that, because Professor Booker will not be around, the Dean's office in their wisdom has decided that you will be attending my Ceremonial Magic class on Monday mornings," Sarah said. "Okay." "Ar ye fecking kiddin me? What bright bulb thought of putting two Evokers ina Magic Thot class?" Katie said. "Your accent is slipping again, Katie." "Feck off, Bore. Professor, this ain't a good idea. At all." "Why?" "I'm hardly any happier about this than you are, Miss Maclachlan. But our betters think that it is a good idea. Since we've got some rather... special... students this year, I wil be doing a small format class for you lot specifically," Sarah said. "What kind of special students?" Bore wondered. "Well, there's the two of you, of course. Then Crown Princess Pendragon, who is also assigned to me. And finally young Miss Irvine, of the Blakemoor Irvines." "Who are they?" "The Blakemoor Irvines are one of the most esteemed clans of Ceremonial Magicians. It will be mt great pleasure to educate their young scion," Sarah said. "I see. So there's a Ceremonial class, each Monday morning, just for the 4 of us?" "Yes. Anyway, I'm going to attend to my students. I'll leave you with Mr. Torman here," Sarah said. "See you."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628012437-1

"So. Bore. Katie. Interesting to meet you." "Thank you, Professor Torman." "Just Torman, Bore. This is a temporary side-thing," he said. "Oh, so you're not a full-time teacher." "No, this is just a... favour... for an old friend." "Are you and Katie... you know... related?" Bore wondered. "Why? 'Cause of the hair?" "Yes. The hair..." "Red hair's common enough here. But I do have a connection to the Maclachlan clan, though it's some time past. I knew your father quite well, Katie, and your gran of course," Torman said. "Knew?" "Aye, he was lost in Elsewhere... what, 10 years ago? Fighting a dragon, alone. A good man, and a good death." "I'm not sure there is such a thing as a good death," Bore said. "Cattle die, kinsmen die. You yourself will also die. I know that which never dies: the judgement of every death." "That's... kinda bleak. Where is it from?" "Oh, just something my father used to say. All will pass, in the end, until only your deeds and reputation remain," Torman said. "I'm starting to see why Evokers have a short life expectancy." "Evokers are the sword of Mankind, Bore. Enchanters provide the steel, sorcerers the guile, but, when things with teeth and claws come out of Elsewhere, Evokers hold the line." "Like that... thing... yesterday..." Bore said. "The Minotaur Lord? Yes, like that thing." "So that's what it was." "Wait, Bore. You fought a Minotaur Lord? In Edinburgh?" Katie said. "Yes, I guess. Big smelly thing with an axe." "That's so fucking cool. And here I thought city life would be all boring and shit." "I'm not sure I want that much exitement; that thing was mean. Without Emily's help, I would have been killed," Bore said. "A Minotaur Lord is perhaps a bit ambitious for someone just starting out. It's a creature of the Deep Elsewhere, not something you'd normally find wandering around the streets of the city," Torman said. "Emily said something... weird... happened to her spell. Was that you?" "No. I didn't know until later. And anyway, I don't do blessings, I do lightning bolts. Whatever it was, it was someone else. Or something else, I guess." "What the hell happened, then?" Bore wondered. "No idea. Between you and Emily, there's no shortage of powers that might be meddling. Either way, the goal of this class is to ensure, the next time you meet something like that, you're properly prepared." "So... what's the course like?" "Let's see... Sarah mentioned I should give you some... paper thingy. Ah, there it is," Torman said. "The academic calendar. I knew this wasn't just fun and games." "Let me see, Bore. Hmm... We've got exams second week of December and the beginning of May. Damn, that sound like real work," Katie said. "She mentioned something about project work?" "Yes. There's two group projects. One for each semester. I guess this group is just for the two of you. We'll chat more about those on Thursday morning," Torman said. "Some kind of paper to write?" "Don't be silly, Bore. It's Applied Thaumaturgy. Evoker stuff," Katie said. "So... we'll be blowing stuff up?" "Blowing things up. Hopefully." "I'm getting a Masters in vlowing things up?" Bore said. "Travel the many worlds. Mett interesting things. Kill them before they kill you," she said. "Sounds like a plan." "Anyway, guys; I'll leave you here for now. I've got stuff to do off-campus, and all this dusty stuff has built up a wee bit of a thirst. I'll see you on Thursday morning for classes," Torman said. "See you, Professor Torman." "It's Torman. Just Torman. "See you, Torman!" Bore said. "Okay... the old folks are gone. I think there's a reception... and an open bar on the green," Katie said. "Isn't it a bit early? It's barely noon." "Sun's over the yard-arm somewhere, Bore. And all this dusty stuff has..." "... built up a wee bit of a thirst. Yeah, I guess I can have a beer or something," Bore said. "Freeflow booze, man. Uni's all about the fun." "How do you stay in that shape with that kind of attitude?" "Ah, just good genes, I guess," she said. "Well, thank God for that."

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:39 pm

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628014250-1

"Well... At least we've got one cool teacher," Katie said. "Was it just me, or was he weird?" Bore said. "Seemed totally normal to me. Reminds me a bit of dad, actually." "I'm sorry. I didn't know." "It's been 10 year. I miss him. But Torman was right, he died well. That's all you can ask," she said. "You're all crazy." "And ye're not? How about that Minotaur Lord last night?" "What about it?" he said. "That's not something a newb should be tangling with. So why did you?" "It was about to kil Emily." "So that's what the little princess wanted to talk to you about. Figures," she said. "I asn't raised to let a monster attack a girl without helping." "And did you think it might kil you?" "No. But that's not bravery, just stupidity," he said. "You're an Evoker. No doubt about it. You should probably look at getting some life insurance." "Probably."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628014421-1

"The two of you don't look scary..." "Oh?" "The way Dr. Wong was going on, I figured you'd be breathing fire and eating babies." "Never before lunch. Who are you, anyway?" Bore said. "I'm Katie. And this here is Bore. Good to meet you," she said. "Yup." "Pleasure is all mine, Katie. Bore. I'm Dylan Faye, and I'm with the Healers," he said. "Cool. Always useful to have someone to help patch us up." "I've got to run; Dad drove me up with my stuff from Caernarfron, and he's heading back now. I'm really exited; it's the first time I've me Evokers, though I read a lot about you guys." "nice to meet you, Dylan," Bore said. "Weird dude. Anyway," Katie said. "Maybe. So what do we do now?" "To the Bar!" "Why am I not surprised?"
Moments later, still on campus ground...
"Ahhh... the water of life," Katie said. "I guess I'd better learn to like this stuff?" Bore said. "Yes." "I take it you drink a lot of whiskey?" "No. But I drink a lot of Whisky," she said. "Is there a difference?" "Whisky is Scottish. And as such superior. Whiskey's the weird foreign shit." "What are we drinking now?" he wondered. "Some Speyside stuff... Macallan? A bit too weak for me." "What do you prefer?" "They make some mean malts back in bellanoch. Dun travel as much as the Islays, but to me they taste like hoome," she said. "Your accent is slipping again." "Mah brogue, not mah fuckin' accent. Southerners have accents, Scots have brogues. And aye, it comes out when ah drink." "Or when you're angry," he added. "Aye. Pissed, or pissed off. Both work." "How much have you had, anyway?" "This is the third one, right?" Katie said. "Fifth. And it's not two o'clock." "An' the hip flask. So maybe 7? 8?" "Where on earth did you hide a hip flask? You couldn't hide a credit card in those pants," Bore said. "Shssss. A lady never tell. Anyways, kick back... relax. Have some fun." "Not sure if getting fucked up at lunch is a good idea." "Ah, yer a student. It's more or less expected. Tradiotion, ken?" she said. "I don't need a hangover tomorrow. I need to find a gym to train at. By the sounds of it, this course is going to require all the strength I have." "Come train with me. Mah family owns a gym down by Wabely Station, AVFC. We can hit the bags together. Do some mat work." "Sounds good. I'd love rolling around, half naked, with you on the mats," he grinned. "In yet dreams, mate." "We all need those." "Ah,m there most of the time. Though I guess I need to show up for lectures at some point," she said. "You don't strike me as a lecture type person." "Ah need to graduate, like. And Torman seemed... intriguing." "He reminded me of the old bikers, at the bar I use to work, back in Maryland," he said. "That's a good thing?" "Not really, no. He feels like he's one drink awat from smashing some poor fudge through a table. You get a feeling for these things after a while." "Anger issues... aye, sure. who does nay have those?" Katie said. "I don't. Never fight angry." "Anger is life. When ya fight, ya feel the fire birning. If ya lose, ya die. It's the ultimate high." "It's called the sweet science for a reason. When I fight, I use my head, not just my heart. You don't do that angry," Bore said. "Well, good to know ya ain't just some poncy book person. Maybe we'll have competition, all-friendly and clean." "I guess a competition needs a prize, right?" "Aye? So what ya wanna bet on? A bottle of good whisky?" she said. "I was thinking of something more... fun." "Aye, why not. Best of 3 rounds. When I win, ya owe me a decent bottle of scotch. If ya win, ah'll show ye mah tits." "It's a deal," he said. "Awesome. Let's get another drink to celebrate." "Are you sure you should have any more? Don't you have training tomorrow morning?" "And? Evokers heal fast. Even if it's self-inflicted," she said. "What do you mean?" "Look at ye. Ya did 2 rounds with some monster out of the deep last night, right?" she said. "Yes?" "An' it hurt, right?" "fudge yes," he said. "Ya feel any of that now?" "No... I feel great, actually." "see. Evokers heal fast. If it didnae kill us, it'll be gone by the morning," Katie said. "Unless you're struck by lightning?" "Ye still thinkin' of ol'Booker?" "Yes," Bore said. " "Sounds like he came about kissing distance from the light at the end of the tunnel. He'll be fine. Eventually." "You're pretty blase' about all this." "Look, Bore, if ya wanted a normal life... this ain't it. Walk away. Evokers live fast, love hard, and die young. it's who we are," she said. "No. It... it feels right. Weird. But right." "See! We'll mee again in Valhalla. Sla'inte." "I'm sure you're mixing your whatchamacallits now," he said. "Mah what?" "Your cultural metaphors. Like Celti and Norse and shit. Damn, that last drink was something else." "Aye... that was a little something from the hip flask. Bellanoch homebrew. 150 proof, it'll wake ye right up. Even if yer dead," she said. "I'm pretty sure it stripped the lining out of my mouth. fudge, you've had 3 shots of that shit? And you're still standing?" "3,5,8? Who's counting?" "Anyways. My point. I had a point. My point was... oh, yes. Celtic and Norse," he said. "Aye? Long traditions of interbreeding. some od it even consensual. Hell, most of it even human." "You were saying your... grandmother?" "Aye. Well, most recently. No shortage of Maclachlans that have flirted with the other side of the fence over the years. Our family's been using magic since the feckin' Romans built the wall. Fyck 'em," Katie said. "fudge... who?" "Hadrian. And the Romans. And Arthur. And the fuckin' Court. fudge all of them. Walking around all high and mighty, as if their shite dinnae stink." "Yeah, Erec was a king-sized asshole," Bore said. "Aye. Be careful with 'im, Bore. He does nae like outsiders, and his daughter seems to like ye far too much." "I'll be careful. But if he pushes me, I ain't getting fucking pushed." "Ye'd be better of trying to punch a Dragon. understand, Bore. He's dangerous. He is one of the Powers. People still swear by the King in Exile. Ye kenna fight what is nearly a god," she said. "Emily doesn't feel like a god." "Emily's a bairn; ain't no older than us. Erec has been studying magic since before the steam engine was a thing. Merlin crafted that bloodline to rule this island. Or so they claim. Assholes." "And so?" he said. "Blood will tell, Bore. Ye of all people should ken this." "People keep saying this. But my mother was some nobody that... that was just really good at sucking dick. And my father was some loser that left before I was born. Shit, I'm drunk." "And yet, yer an Evoker. Ya only find that in families that are too close to the Powers. That Be. Always across multiple generations," she said. "And? What the fudge does any of this mean?" "If yer pa's blood was potent enough to elevate your bloodline from mundane to Evoker in one fell swoop... well, that was nae casual fling. Yer talking one of the major Powers." "And? Also, hand over that hip flask, I need another drink," he said. "We're out. But I snagged a bottle from the bar." "And...? Damn... this stuff tasted´s quite smooth now. Where was I... oh, yes... your point?" "My point was... the major Powers dunnae die. Not easily, at least, and never quietly. None have gone the last 100 years," Katie said. "So?" "So... yer father ain't dead. He's out there, somewhere." "So... you're saying he's... still alive?" Bore said. "Might be close. The Powers often take an interest in their offspring." "So my dad was... a mage? Or a demigod? Or... what?" "Dunno. Hand back that bottle. Do I look like someone who's got all the answer? But I'd bet my panties that ye being here... it ain't no accident. Yet here 'cause yer da' has set in motion some plan," she said. " Wait. So me getting sent this invite. Scholarship. Thingy. It's all 'cause my father's alive. And a demigod. And that the grandson of King Arthur..." "... great, great, great grandson of King Arthur..." "Descendant, whatever. Of King fucking Arthur. Hates my guts. Because his daughter likes me?" he said. "Aye. Pick the biggest fucker in the bar, and try to kick him in the balls. Now ya're thinking like an Evoker." "fudge. I need another drink." "Here you go. Just remember what I told you," Katie said. "Which is...?" "Live fast, die young..." "... leave a mountain of corpses when you finally check out! Cheers!" he said. "Are ye okay? Bore?" "I don't feel so hot." "Well, ya made it to 3PM. Next time we'll do better. Let's get ya home," she said. "That... that sounds good."

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:43 pm

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628015447-1

"Well, looks like someone is having fun at Uni. Reminds me of my own youth," Chloe said. "Yesh?" "Shh. Go to sleep, Bore. You've got a great destiny to find. Or die trying." "G'night."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628015533-1

"Urgh... my mouth smells like something died in it. Otherwise... I do feel totally fine. Which I really shouldn't, considering the amount of semi-diluted poison I drank yesterday. I guess Katie knows a thing or two. She said my fatheer... that he's still alive. Still out there. And maybe watching me? She implid he was a Power. Someone... not quite human. And possibly very powerful. Ow. My head hurts. And it's not the whiskey... Whisky... Booze. Thingy.
This is all... too weird. My landlady's a cat. My only classmate is the crazy alcoholic grandchild of some tentacle-monster. And I've got a date with the great-granddaughter of King Arthur. Actually, now that I think about it the only normal people I've met so far are Professor Sarah and Torman. And between you and me, I'm not totally certain about Torman. Shit. Anyway. Katie said she was training at the gym, near Waverly. I think that's the tram station or something. I probably want to spend some time training before I actually challenge her to a game of strip-MMA.
There's also a big city out there. There may actually be normal people to meet. The guidebook said the Royal Mile is a quaint street filled with nice restaurants and cafe's. Maybe I can find a coffee shop around here to study in. God knows Chlow won't serve just coffee. I've got 2 days until my first lecture with Torman on Thursday morning. He gave us that strange quote. It sounded almost like a poem. Cattle die, kinsmen die. You yourself will die... It's... it's like I can almost remember it from somewhere.
The Evokers may be crazy. But they're powerful. I can almost feel the air humming around Torman. If I want to solve my personal problem, I need to mster those Arts. I need to become an Evoker. And I need to find the secret of my father. Katie said he was still alive... that he was a greater power. Whatever that means. God knows what she means with the word power in the first place. She called Ered a power, and he's just some pissed-off dad with a BMW-complex. I suppose my father was some kind of mage? I should ask Chloe. She was fucking him, she should know. Mom always said he left before I was born. If Katie is right... I need to know who he is. And why he abandoned us.
I guess my time is my own until Thursday morning. But I should be careful how I spend it; I've got a feeling time is limited, and I need to prepare for whatever is coming. There's a lot of balls in the air. I need to balance them all. I am an Evoker. Fire burns before me. Death walks behind me. In the centre, there is only me. Time to move.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628015932-1

"So this is the Royal Mile. I can see the castle in the distance, there's a bunch of shops and cafe's there. I should find a coffee shop of cafe' or something."

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:22 pm

"Ah, there's a Starbucks. There's one in every city. I always used to enjoy sitting at the local Starbucks, reading or studying. Which reminds me. I don't have any books. There ought to be a bookstore around here somewhere. I'll find it later, I guess."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628020020-1

Bore made himself acquainted with Jenny, the barista. The place was actually a Starcucks, since the owner had lost the naming rights. Chatting with her, Bore came to the question:
"You wouldn't happen to know any good bookstores around here?" he said. "Sure. My friend runs a place just around the corner. Their selection's not huge, but everything she sells is awesome," Jenny said. "Cool. I should go to the bookstore sometime."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628020337-1

"Hey, Bore. I see you found this place as well," Katie said. "Yeah, it's become my favorite bookstore. I used to buy from deNile.com, but her books are just so much better. Not cheap, though," he said. "Yeah, she's kind of a legend in the magical community." "So she's a mage, then?" "Not that I know of. Could be... possibly some kinda Hedgemage or something. She might have some Talent or Quirk related to matching and finding books," Katie said. "But even Mages come to her?" "Yeah. I mean, she'll only ever sell you one book at a time, but it's always a great book for you to read right now." "That's weird. She's got like a whole selection for me," Bore said. "Well, we both know you're weirder than a five legged sheep, so that ain't no surprise. "What is she trying to sell to you?" "Oh... it's nothing. You know, just some random junk," she said. "But you're carrying a book, right? So whatever random junk it was, you ended up buying it." "Yeah, well... I ain't going to turn down one of Diana's books, ye ken. But I didnae ask for it, or anything." "Your accent is slipping, and you're still sober. So something fishy is going on. Could you show me that book?" he said. "It's a brogue, nae a fecking accent." "Stop deflecting. Book, please." "Aye, well... sure, it ain't no big deal," she said. "'Prisoner of My Desire,' by Johanna Lindsey. The woman on the cover looks like she's going to fall out of her dress." "As Ah was sayin', just some random junk Diana thought..." "I wonder what's inside it..." he said. "Gimmie that." "Oh, look. It's signed. 'To Katie, my most dedicated fan. Johanna.'" "Bore, if ya tell a single soul about this..." Katie said. "Of course not." "Now gimmie back me book. And Bore..." "I've seen nothing," he said. "Aye. Forget this ever happened. We was never here. And don't ye forget that." "Later, Katie."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628020535-1

"Welcome to the Rambling Rascal, the premium bookstore on the Royal Mile. If you're looking for the esoteric, the exotic, the exiting and extraordinary book, look no further. If you're looking for the latest best-seller, there's a Waterstone's down on Princess street, have a good day," Diana said. "What makes your books so special? Isn't it easier to just... you know, sell what people want?" Bore said. "fudge what people want. I sell them what they need. And usually they don't know what that is." "Well, I know what kind of books I like." "Ford once said, 'If I had asked people what they really wanted, they'd have said faster horses,'" she said. "Not sure that's a fair comparison." "'The Exquisite Art of Domination.'" "Are you sure that's what I need right now?" he said. "Oh, yes. Very. Trust me, there's a wonderful opportunity nearby that this will help you open up."
Bore returned to the coffee shop. Jenny seemed interested, but when he looked at her she averted her eyes. Having finished his second coffee for the day and read the first chapter of the book, Bore returned to the Crowley...

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628021407-1

"You here to work?" Chloe said. "Yeah." "Cool. Get behind the bar," she said. "Will do," Bore said.
The session was rather uneventful, chatting with a few locals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:50 pm

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628021614-1

Jenny is struggling to conceal her interest in the book Bore is reading.
"S... how's the coffee?" she asked. "Was that really what you wanted to ask about?" he said. "Err... ys?" "You've been eying the book I'm reading, haven't you. Does it excite you?" "I've had this dream for years. Of being dominated. There's this man in my dream... tall and dark, and intense," Jenny said. "Like me?" "No, like an older guy. Rich. Intense. Powerful. Not like a student or anything." "Well, so much for that idea," Bore thought. "In my dreams I never meet him. He just leaves messages, and... commands." "So... you wouldn't know who the messages came from, right?" "Oh, I'd know. They always smell of... him. And each time he leaves a perfect black rose with the command. That's how I know it's from him," she said. " perfect black rose you say. That's... interesting." "Anyway. I don't know why I'm telling you this. Enjoy your coffee." "Thanks, I will," he said.
The next morning was Bore's first class with Torman.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628021932-1

"Hey, Bore. What's up." "Dylan, wasn't it? Nothing much. I've got my first class this week, but nobody told me where. I'm looking for Torman." "That's the big scary guy who looked like he just stepped off a Viking ship?" Dylan said. "That's probably the one." "I just saw him over by the lecturing blocks. Need a hand finding it?" "Sure, that'd be awesome," Bore said.
Dylan showed the way.
"The lecture halls are around this area; the offices are down on the right," Dylan said. "Cool, thanks," Bore said. "No problems. Let's see, Torman's office should be down here somewhere." "I've got to say I appreciate you taking time to help me out like this." "Hey, always happy t help my fellow man. And I find Evokers interesting, my gran used to tell me all kinds of stories about you guys," Dylan said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628022012-1Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628022035-1

"I wish someone had done that for me as well," Bore said. "Anyway, here we are. Torman's office is... ah over there," Dylan said. "There's a post-it note on the door." "What does it say?" "'Beware the dog!' Well, that's not weird at all," Bore said. "I bet Torman's a dog lover. Probably has like a pet poodle or something, and keeps putting up ironic signs like that." "I really didn't get that vibe from him. Wait." "See, the door's not even locked. strange... something's in there," Dylan said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628022134-1

"Oh fudge. One of those again. Get out of here, Dylan. I'll deal with this bastard," Bore said. "It's too late, Winter Child. We have your scent, you cannot run from us." "When did you pooche start talking?" "They come. The Gods have grown old, and weak. Merlin's spawn cannot stop them. But first, Winter Child, you will die," the undead dog said. "Hell no. Deal Cards." "That's a hellhound. What's a hellhound doing on campus?" Dylan said. "No idea. You don't do magic fireballs or shields or something?" "What? No. I'm just doing magic as part of my meduícal degree, I donät... kill things. I'm pretty sure that's against the Hippocratic Oath." "Even if they're undead... what did you call them? Hellhounds," Bore said. "I don't know. Next time I'll make sure to check my Ethics Handbook, okay." "Anyway. Just stay behind me, I'll deal with the mutt." "Wait. I can help," Dylan said. "Isn't that against your Hypocritical Oath?" "Hippocratic. I can't hurt it. But I can heal you... that would help, right?" "Hell yeah," Bore said.
Bore was hurt a few times before the hellhound finally keeled over from the last of the Evoker's magic blasts. Furtunately, Dylan was there to heal him.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628022620-1

"We... we won," Dylan said. "Take that, you undead fucking poodle," Bore said. "That was so awesome. shit, I'm shaking. fudge yeah, I'm fighting undead dogs with an Evoker. It's like something out of the stories. Kicking ass, and taking names, baby. Wish my Dad could see me now." "Glad you're enjoying this." "What on earth is it with people in this school and following instructions? Did I not put a daned sign, saying 'Beware of the dog!' on the door?" Torman said. "Err... yes?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:35 am

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628022636-1

"So why, pray do tell me young Bore, did you open the door and let one of the captive hellhounds loose?" Torman said. "Oh, come on. Keeping a captive undead beast in your office has to violate at least 10 different rules," he said. "Does it now?" "Keeping dangerous compounds in an unlocked storage facility!" "You're just fucking with me now, Bore, aren't you?" Torman said. "Well, yes. Maybe. Did you say there were more of them." "I'd locked the other I found roaming the lecture theater in a broom closet. Some unfortunate cleaner let it out, but I think they got him to the Royal Infirmary in time." "So there's more than one of them?" Bore said. "Well, not any more, obviously. After I disposed of it I rushed here, but I see you've just killed our last lead. Well done." "I'll let it gnaw on my leg a bit longer next time. What the fudge was I supposed to do?" "Lock it in a room, and sit outside the door until I get there. Damn, I was hoping we could trace it back to whoever sent it," Torman said. "Sent?" "Yes? Hellhounds are constructs, they're raised and sent. You don't get packs roaming around Edinburgh without someone doing some digging." "Wait. That dog was a zombie?" Bore said. "Sure. You don't think that dog grew up looking like that? Someone dug up the dogs, re-animated them, and put a Geas on them." "It... it spoke to me. Called me the Winter Child." "Did it now? That's... interesting," Torman said. "What does it mean?" "Many possible things. I'll need to look deeper into it. Did it say anything else?" "It said the Gods have grown ol. That Merlin's spawn cannot stop them. What does any of that mean?" Bore said. "That the Gods have largely ingnore the world for too long. And that Erec is no Arthur." "Who are they?" "And that, Bore, is the question I was hoping Lassie here would answer. Someone powerful, if they plan to challenge the mortal world, the Court and the Gods at once," Torman said. "Anyway. It's dead." "A pity. Though I doubt we've seen the last of these. There's no such thing as a pack of two Hellhounds." "And what do we do if I meet another one?" Bore said. "Chop off any bits it isn't going to need again, then sit on it, and get someone to find me." "Just like that, huh?" "Just like that, Bore. You did good with the hound. There might actually be some hope to turn you into an Evoker," Torman said. "That's the plan." "And you? What's your name?" "That's Dylan. He's with the Healers," Bore said. "You did well, kid. Lots of civilians freeze up, facing the less cicilized parts of Elsewhere," Torman said. "Yeah." "Thanks, Sir. I mean Professor. I mea..." Dylan said. "He doesn't like titles, so... just Torman." "This... this was awesome. I've never felt so alive. Bore totally kicked that thing's ass." "Let's be hones here, you helped," Bore said. "There's always a need for Battle Healers," Torman said. "Battle Healers?" "Battle Healers? But... that's like something out of the Sagas. That... that couldn't be me," Dylan said. "You'd be awesome at it," Bore said. "Chat with Bore. Something is coming. A storm. When it hits, we'll need every man and woman willing to help out," Torman said. "Any time, man. Thanks for the backup." "Anyway. I guess this concludes today's lecture. I'm unsurprised Katie didn't make it. Do let her know that I expect her to at least pretend to show up occasionally. I'll see you both next Thursday." "Will do," Bore said. "

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628023022-1

"So. Bore. What are you doing now?" Dylan said. "I guess... I guess class is over for today?" he said. "And here I thought dissection class with Dr. Wong was stressful. I'm glad I'm just doing Medicine." "Well. Let's head out, we've got a long day ahead."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628023036-1

"So... Battle Healer, huh. That... that's like something out of the legends. When Gran used to tell me the great sagas, there's always a Battle Healer along. Usually the prettiest girl, though," Dyal said. "You interested?" Bore wondered. "Yeah... yeah. I guess I am. Dude. Battle Healer. That's up there with Jedi knights. It'd be awesome." "At this point I should probably mention that life expactansies for Evokers aren't great, and I'd assume this goes for anyone fighting by their side." "Are you expecting to die?" Dylan said. "Nobody expects to die at 22. Still happens. Are you sure you're ready for that?" "Hell, I believe in you, Bore. If anything really scary cpomes by, I'll just hide behind you." "I find your depyth of faith disturbing," Bore said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:46 am

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628023114-1

"Hey, Bore. I am so glad I ran into you here," she said. "Always happy to see you too, Emily," he said. "You look... troubled. Did something happen?" "Nothing serious, don't worry about it." "we got jumped by this huge fucking..." Dylan said. "As I said, Dylan, nothing serious. Can I introduce you to Emily Pendragon? she's in our course." "Wha... Pendragon? Like in Arthur Pendragon? Like in Once and Future King Pendragon?" "I think so, right Emily?" Bore said. "You are indeed correct, Sir Dylan. Though 1500 years is a long time, even in Elsewhere," she said. "I always thought Arthur was a knight, not a mage." "And what do I look like to you, my dear Knight? A little girl playing with a toy sword?" "No. Not at all," Bore gulped. "Arthur was an Enchanter, one of the strongest ever. Our entire line have been powerful Enchanters. But even though most Enchanters live long lives, and even though time passes... differently... in Elsewhere, it has been 4 generations since the Exile. Nobody alive remembers my great-grandfather." "I didn't realize it was so close." "Like. Really? The Great Grand-Daughter of... King Arthur? Wow," Dylan said. "Who says I don't throw a great party, right Dylan?" Bore said. "It's been awesome, but I've got to run to classes. Bore... I'd like to talk about the Battle Healer stuff sometime. If you're free." "Sure, I'd love to. see you later, Dylan."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628023314-1

"And now, dear knight. The truth, please. Just what did the two of you run into today," she said. "Would you believe me if I told you it was nothing serious?" he said. "No, I would not. Trust me, Bore, the court is not short of scoundrels and tellers of tall tales. Your skills are not up to the task." "Look, it's nothing. We got jumped by a Hellhound. We kicked its ass, and got yelled at for it. That's all." "Hellhounds are not nothing. But I am glad you dealt with it, and emerged largely unscathed. Why did you get yelled at?" Emily said. "It was just Torman. He said he wanted to trace them back to whoever sent them somehow." "An Evoker? Eunning a Tracing? That... that is hard to belive." "Why?" Bore wondered. "Because Tracing is a subtle Art. There are many things to love about Evokers, Bore, but as a group you are not known for sublety. My father could do it, maybe some of the Council. I could not. It requires years, decades, of practice. And Evokers rarely have that time." "You seem pretty unconcerned about the Hellhounds." "They are a nuisance. A pack can be dangerous, but mostly they rely on cathing their prey unaware. The first one almost reached my bedroom when I was 4. One of the Court Guardians destroyed it," she said. "Christ... I didn't know. It kinda puts things in perspective." "They are opportunists and stalkers. Cunning, but not clever. The Court in Exile lies deep within Elsewhere. We are far closer to bot what is great, and what is terrifying, in the beyond." "That's got to be one hell of a daily commute," he said. "I stay as pne of our townhouses, down near Grosvenor Square. I am, after all, here to learn about the modern world." "So for our... date... do I pick you up at your house?" "So it is a date, now?" Emily said. "Well... only if you don't mind." "It was certainly a lot easier to explain it away as a study trip. But... perhaps a date would be fun." "So I'll pick you up at your house tomorrow evening?" Bore said. "It would be better that we meet outside, somewhere. The House Guardians do not like strangers." "Hey, I can be really charming, you know." "I can believe that. But Golems are not usually as easy to charm as young maidens, so let us not tempt fate," she said. "Okay, how about we meet at a restaurant somewhere?" "There is a restaurant near our house, called the Khukuri. Each time I walk past I wonder how the food there must be. It smells wonderful." "Well, that's settled then, Emily. We're going to have to try it out. So I'll see you there, tomorrow afternoon," he said. "I shall look forward to it. See you there, Bore," she said. "Bye, Emily."

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:49 am

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628023603-1

"You here to work?" "I need to ask you something, Chloe..." he said. "What's eating you, Bore?" "I need to ask you... about my dad?" "I'd love to help you, Bore, but I'm really busy," she said. "The bar is empty, Chloe. It's empty in the morning, it's empty in the evening." "Well. Yes. We need to fix that. People are still sufferering from irrational worries from that unfortunate incident." "My father. Please," he said. "I really can't help you, Bore. You want answers I don't have." "Can you at least give me his name?" "No idea," she said. "You slept with a man, and you didn't even ask his name?" "Oh yes. Quite a few times. But totally not in this case." "My head hurts," Bore said. "I could make you a Bloody Mary? Wonderful hangover cure! Let me see, I've got the ingredients here somewhere..." "Stop stalling, Chloe." "Why don't you call Jannice? She'd know," Chloe said. "No, she wouldn't. You're a mage, right? What... An Enchanter? You don't feel like an Evoker..." "A few days at the university, and already you're busy trying to divide the ineffable into neat little boxes. But no, there's no course for my kind at your fancy school. Not that they haven't tried." "Why?" he wondered. "Because Sorcerers are impossible to teach, hard to con, and tend to walk off with the silverware when they discover you tried. So after a while they gave up." "Torman said something... he said that Sorcerers provide the guile." "He would say that. It's not quite like that. We just... know. Snippets. Knowledge or ideas or... things. That we're not supposed to have," she said. "Sounds useful." "It's a bloody pain in the ass. Have you ever found yourself hauling an eldritch anti-tank rifle down the Paths, knowing it''s critically important that you get somewhere, but having no idea why it's important?" "So it's like a message? From the Gods?" he said. "Not from any of the ones I've asked, no. They think it's something uniquely human. In some ways Evokers and Sorcerers are the two extremes of Magic. Evokers are by far the closest to Elsewhere, the least human. Sorcerers don't share much, if anything, with the creatures beyond. Ours is purely human magic." "But I've see you do, you know... real magic, right? Turning into a cat. Not ageing?" he said. "Magic can be begged, borrowed or stolen. Sorcerers know things, find things... it's easy enough to find some spare power or a gew of feline tansform someone carelessly left lying around." "And how is any of this relevant to you, my mom and my dad?" "Bore, I'm a city girl. An English city girl, some more. Why on earth would I find myself in a threesome with a wholesome midwestern virgin and a creature from a different dimension? In bloody Oregon, of all places?" Chloe said. "You... knew?" "Indeed. It was a nudge so strong I'd bought the trans-atlantic plane ticket before I realized what was happening. 24 hours later I was sitting in a dive.bar in Portland, smoking weed with this gorgeous blonde girl, when your father walked in." "Did you know he wasn't... human?" Bore said. "Instantly. He hid it well, but... he was like a passing black hole, so powerful you couldn't help but get dragged along. We all piled into his car, drove out to a ranch he said he owned. Then fucked like bunnies through the night." "And in the morning, he was gone." "You'd think so. That's how it usually goes. But your father was strange, even by Elsewhere standards. We stayed on that ranch for a month. Screwing, and talking and learning. I learned more about magic that month than anything before, or after," she said. "In all this, you never asked him his name?" "Oh, i did. And he gave me a name, Dubh. Means Black. I knew it was fake, he knew I knew. But the Powers don't hand out their names easily. The name is Celtic, so... possibly one of the Tuatha De' Danann? Or he gave me that name just to fudge with me, Powers have an odd sense of humor." "So he was a Power? What does that even mean?" he said. "Most of us, stumbling around the chessboard of life, are pawns. Some, a very few, are officers. Bishops and towers and knights. Those are the powers. And above them..." "The king and queen? Those are the major Powers?" "Where did you hear that term? No. A king is just a king, more important tha a peasant perhaps, but still just a piece in the game. The Major Powers are the players," she said. "And my father? Katie said he might have been a major power. That he's... still alive?" "I don't know who or what he was. Could have been. I've askd about him, a couple of times. With people or Gods that should know. Some don't know, most avoid it. Which could mean anything. He's not one of the Powers that interact with people a lot, that much is certain." "And afterwards?" he said. "Then. One day, he was gone. We decided to leave the ranch before whoever actually owned it came looking. Jannice was pregnant with you. I could sense your Spark, even then. Indisputably an Evoker. So I stole her weed, got her a plane ticket back to her parents, wished her good luck, and jumped on the first flight back to Blighty." "And that's all?" "That's all. Until I got a phone call from Jannice, on a landline I'd long forgotten even existed, telling me you were coming to Edinburgh," Chloe said. "Is all of this... The Crowley... You being here... is that something else you knew?" "Sometimes the knowing is a geas, like a compulsion. But sometimes I wonder if there are knowings so strong, and yet so subtle, that they carry you though life without you ever noticing." "Well... shit. And where do we go from here?" Bore said. "Work hard. Become strong. Become wise. Make strong allies. Whatever happens... it will happen soon. Don't waste your time. I know this," she said. "I will."
Bore went to his room and fired up his laptop...

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628024114-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:52 am

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628024238-1

"So you made it down. Well, welcome to my little corner of Edinburgh," Katie said. "You stay here?" Bore said. "Sure. Nice showers. Comfy mats to sleep on. Short distance to train. No rent. What else does a girl want in a student flat?" "No, totally mekes sense. I guess I'm also in a weird position when it comes to where I says." "You here to train, or just to chat?" she said. "I'll train later. Thought I'd drop by and talk to you first. See if you could tell me a bit more about magic." "I guess. Though Torman would probably be better at explaining this stuff. But... bor... I'm dying to see it." "See... what?" he wondered. "Look, you show me yours, I'll show you mine." "Show you my... what?" "Your medallion? Magic staff? Thingy?" she said.
Bore started to unzip his trousers.
"What the fudge do you think you're doing?" Katie said. "Showing you my... thing? Aren't you getting undressed?" Bore said. "Not your cock! Your magic amulet. Like... the source of your magic." "So we're not getting undressed?" "No!" she said. "Okay, so what the hell is going on? What is my medallion?" "Damnit. Look. See this?"

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628024443-1

"Nice medallion. I didn't see you wearing it just now," he said. "I did, and I didn't," she said. "Wait, where did it go?" "You're really totally clueless, aren't you? Look. This is my magic." "Wait what?" Bore said. "Like your poker playin'... it's all in your mind." "So... your magic is represented by a cute heart-shaped medallion?" "I was 14, okay. Asshole. See these gems on the back?" Katie said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628024524-1

"How did you even fit 5 gems inside that tiny medallion?" Bore wondered. "Magic. No, really. Look, you keep thinking that this is real. It's not. Well, it is, but it isn't. You know? This medallion is a physical object. But it is also a figment of my imagination," Katie said. "So... why all the secrecy?" "It's private, like. And also, if the medallion is destroyed, it'd destroy my connection to my magic. So you don't show it to just anyone." "Then I'm flattered you showed it to me. Feel free to show me anything else private you'd like," he said. "Perv!" "Oh yes." "So. Now you've seen mine, it's time to see yours. And no... don't try to unzip yer pants and show me your magic wand again," she said. "Where would I find it?" "Christ on a pole, do't they teach you anything in America? Okay. Imagine your board. Poker table. Whatever." "Okay," he said. "Okay. Now... look. There should be like a staff or a stick or an amulet or something." "Wait... there is something new there. Like a staff?"

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628024657-1

"Okay, now I want you to imagine you're holding it in your hands," Katie said. "Let... me try," Bore said. "Oh, mister wizard, what a big staff you have." "It's much smaller than the one in my panys... just saying." "I'll take your word on that. For now," she said. "Very funny. So this is my... magic. Why is it a staff?" "It's not. You're just imagining it as a staff. Too much Hollywood, I guess. Let me look at the gems." "What gems?" he said. "Like these. See? That one's for a match 3, it does fire damage. This one triggers on a match 4, and does a lot more fire damage. This one... this one's very rare. My dad got it for me. It only triggers o a full Match 7, and it..." "... does absolutely ridiculous amounts of fire damage?" "That's right. How did you know?" she said. "Just a lucky guess. So... these things are my gems? They're kinda transparent..."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628024754-1

"What in the actual fudge, Bore. You took on a Minotaur Lord with a handful of glass beads?" Katie said. "Well... I had help," he said. "You must have had divine fucking intervention. These gems are worse than junk. I could hit harder with my bare fist, and they don't do anything beyond basic damage." "Well, it's what I've got. Now give it back." "No need to act all butt hurt about this. bloody hell, we need to get you some actual gems, or the denizens of the Paths will eat you alive. Quite possibly literally," she said. "Where do I get more stones?" "The two stones you've already got are more than big enough. What you need is some gems." "So where do I get some gems?" he wondered. "Lots of different places." "Very funny." "I always wanted to say that line. The Highlander was my spirit movie. I used to hide and watch it with dad and my bigger brother, when I ws like... 9. Shit," she said. "I'm sorry." "Nothing's more important than family, Bore. Always remember that. You take them for granted, and one day... they're gone." "I'll remember that. I should probably call Mom, let her know I'm okay," he said. "Anyways. Head in the game, Katie. Gems. The Quartermaster at the University has some basic gems. Most mages will have spare ones they'll sell or trade. Or you can just take them from monsters on the Paths, which is what I always do. But you ain't going into the paths with those glass beads, it'd be suicide." "Seems I need gems, to make money so I can buy gems so I can make money to buy... damn." "Nah, that's what drinking buddies are for," Katie said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628024932-1

"That's... I don't know what to say. Thanks. And also, where are you hiding all this stuff?" Bore said. "Nah, don't worry about it. They're mostly junk I had lying around. At least they're better than what you had," Katie said. "What do these do?" "Lesse. That green one is poison. Not a huge poison fan myself, so I just kept it around for trade. Does damage over time. I can use it in a match 3 or match 4 slot; I'd guess that would map to like a pair or above? Experiment and find out." "So different gems only fit into different slots? On the staff?" he said. "Yeah. When you mak a move, you unleash power. If that power's enough to activate the gem, it'll trigger its effect. So the nicer the effect..." "... the more powerful a move I need to pull off." "Right. That yellow one is lightning. Really useful. Basically do enough lighning damage, and you can shock the opponent. Giving you more time to do more lighning damage, so... well, you get it," she said. "Ooooh. Shiny." "Yeah, it's useful. Torman's a lighning specialist, I think. The pink one is defensive. Not really my style, but sometimes it's useful to avoid taking a punch." "I think Emily used something like that. Basically a shield that absorbed damage," he said. " "Yeah. Enchanters specialize in that kind of thing. They cannae tke or deal damage like us, so they armour up and enhance their gear. Finally that diamond is quite rare. Consider it a real gift, unlike the other junk. It's only triggering on higher moves, and it only does physical damage. But it hit like a fucking hammer." "That's awesome. Thanks a million, Katie." "Well, if you ever find a really huge fire gem, you know who to give it to," she said. "Will do. So do all mages use these, or just Evokers?" "All. Enchanters build things with them, or use them to focus their spells. Healers use them to heal better. Sorcerers use them for their own inscutable purposes." "And ceremonial magicians?" "shove them up their ass, for all I know. Useless buggers." "I see. So I should look for powerful mages, who might have gems they'd be willing to trade with me?" Bore said. "Yup." "Okay, cool. I'll look into it more when I'm back in my room. Talk to you later, Katie, and thanks for everything."

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:22 am

"Okay, I've got a date with Emily shortly. Should be fun. It's been a while since I went out on a date, hopefully I'm not too rusty. She said it was at the Khukuri. Let's see. Should be over by Grassmarket, if Google Maps is to be trusted."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628025211-1

"Hmm. Now where? Ah. Down that road, then turn left. I think I can smell it already. Damn, I'm hungry. Okay, let's see if we ca find Emily."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628025233-1

"Holy crap, I love that dress. Emily?" "Greetings, dear knight," she said. "You are indeed more beautiful than the sunset, Emily. Thank you for joining me for dinner," Bore said. "Well, thank you. I guess we should have a seat." "Awesome. I love Indian food." "Nepali, actually. Khukuri refers to the Gurkha knife," Emily said. "And how on earth would you know that?" "We have Gurkha troops at the Court. It was one of their sergeants who taught me to fight with a knife." "For some reason, dressed like that, I find that hard to imagine," he said. "For those of us who cannot throw fireballs, sometimes a knife has to do insread. Now, let's order." "Sure." "So, Bore. What brings you to Edinburgh. You are not originally from here, right?" she said. "Nah, I'm from outside Baltimore. In the US?" "Oh, a colonial, as my father would say." "Not sure I've ever heard Americans called that," he said. "He studied here in the Old World back in the 18th century. The colonial secession was the big national dialog back then, and carried far too much resonance with our own factional problems." "I can see how you would support the Royalist faction in this, yes," Bore said. "How do you find Edinburg compared to your home?" "Well, haven't been here long. There's a lot of differences, though. More undead monsters, for one. There are also more gorgeous sword wielding girls. So I guess it balances out." "Oh? Are there other female knights wandering around? Should I feel jealous?" Emily said. "None as pretty as you." "Our food has arrived. Hopefully it tastes as good as it smells." "To good food and great company!" he said.
They enjoyed their meal.
"That was nice," Emily said. "That was amazing. Best Indian... sorry, Nepali, food ever," Bore said. "There are only two honorable jobs for a Gurkha. To fight, or to cook. They excel at both." "And the company made the meal even tastier; thank you for agreeing to come." "It is my first date, I should at least enjoy it. Thank you, Bore," she said. "Wait, you've never been on a date before? Like never?" "No. I was betrothed once, but that does not really count." "Oh? Where is your fiance'e now?" he wondered. "Dead." "Oh gog. I'm so very sorry, Emily." "Do not be. It was a political engagement, and unlikely to ever be anything more if we eventually had gotten married," she said. "Why?" "Because I could never love anyone as shallow and self-centered as him, and I doubt he could ever have loved anyone but himself. Or are you asking why the politial marriage?" "Yeah, that," he said. "Royals do not marry for love, we marry for the Court. My father hoped to tie some powerful clan closer to the throne by marrying me to them. I expect he still does." "What happened to the other guy?" "He was found in bed with another man's wife," Emily said. "That sucks." "I can forgive the infidelity, there were no emotional strings between us. But I cannot forgive the stupidity in my future consort, and trying to cuckold a Council Battlemage was not a great sign of intelligence." "Yeah..." Bore said. "The next day they met at the tournay field. Afterwards, the keepers spent the rest of the day trying to pick up the pieces of my ex-betrothed." "Ouch." "Which brings me here. Shipped off to study in the Old World; out of sight and out of mind. Let the blood dry and people pretend to forget, before my father tries to pawn me off on some other noble to prop up his throne," she said. "Well, at least something good came out of it. Are there no nobles worth marrying?" "Ours is a society in slow decline, Bore. We live long, which hides it, but... we are not what we once were. Half the Council seats at the Round Table stand empty, and none remain willing, or capable of, filling them." "Couldn't you find someone nice in the real world? How about me?" he smiled.
Emily laughed.
"Oh, Bore... that would be nice. But unless you are an incognito king from some distant realmm I fear it cannot be. Who I marry is not up to me, and in this I must serve the needs of the realm," she said. "Sadly the only thing incognito is my browser. So if you've never been on a date... does that mean you've never been kissed?" he said. "My betrothed kissed me on the cheek, if that counts." "Nope, it doesn't. Would you like to try it now? It's the kind of thing people do on a date." "My, are you brazen. But I fear the rules of the Court are different than this world. I must remain a virgin until my marriage bed, and so seal the alliance in blood," she said. "We're talking about a kiss, though, not a night of crazed sex." "Perhaps. But not on a fist date." "Well, there's only one solution to that," he smiled. "Oh?" "We must go on another date." "Perhaps we must. I have enjoyed this," she said. "And next time, I can get a kiss?" "We shall see. Let us pay, and go. Let's see. £50." "Here, let me," Bore said. "You are aware that my family is not exactly poor?" "Yeah, but the rules of my world are different than the Court's. Just because you're rich and I'm poor doesn't mean I'm not paying for dinner when I invite you out on a date." "Well. Then I guess I will have to be the one to invite you out next time, to balance the scales," Emily said. "I would enjoy that." "Let us go." "Should I walk you home?" he said. "Have you forgotten the vengeful Guardians at the house?" " Yeah, but I could walk you at least to the door. Will you be safe alone?" "Bore, I have trained as a warrior since I could walk. I both can and will take care of myself. Despite this ridiculous dress," she said. "I love the dress. You look amazing in it." "Well, then at least it has served some purpose. Thank you for this, Bore... I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed myself like this." "Any time. See you soon, Emily," he said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628030125-1Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628030135-1

"I can't believe Katie just... gave me these gems. I should spend some time working out how they fit into the staff. Now, let' see how this works. I'm supposed to insert the gems into slots? Let's see... Like this, I think."

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:03 am

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628030219-1

"Welcome to the gym, Bore. What're you up to today?" Katie said. "I'm going to hit the bags, see if I can get some training in," he said. "Sounds good. They're over there in the corner."
Bore spent some time building up his strength.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628030437-1

In the evening he visited the Starcucks again. Bore flipped through the book without reading, his mind on Jenny and the single perfect black rose."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628030530-1

"Rise and shine, Bore. Today I've got Ceremonial Magic class in the morning. I'm still... kinda hazy on what that actually means. I kinda get Evokers nowm and at least on the surface Enchanters make sense. But I have no idea what Ceremonial Magicians do, apart from Torman and Katie despising them. Having sai that... the professor is kinda hot, and it's a chance to spend some time with Katie and Emily, so I'm sure it won't be too bad. Let's get dressed and head out. Hopefully no undead furkids this time. Though I'm not holding my breath. Let's see... the lecture is in Lecture Theater DGN1. That's a... rather strange name for a lecture theater. Let's head over to the University."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628030557-1

"How's it hanging, Bore." "A little bit stiffer after seeing you, Katie. How're you doing?" he said. "Aye, can't complain. Well, I can, but it ain't gonna help. So, ready for your Thot Class?" she said. "Come on, it'll be fun. At least 3 out of the 4 students are cool. How bad can it get?" "Can I have some of whatever you're smoking? I guess I can agree you ain't half bad. And obviously I'm awesome. The Princess... dunno, fucking royals are royals. And the only thing worse than a royal is a jumped up wannabe noble." "We'll see how this Miss Irvine is, I guess," Bore said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628030639-1

"I keep hearing my name mentioned. Like, who exactly are you guys?" "Who are you?" Bore wondered.
Molly introduced herself.
"And you guys?" she wondered. "This is Katie, I'm Bore. We're part of your Ceremonial Magic class." "Ah, yeah... you guys are the bruisers, right?" ""Well, not sure I'd call it that. We're Evokers," Bore said. "You guys are like totally a throwback to another time. Nobody needs or wants a bunch of medieval thugs running around in 2019. Violence is just so crude. Why can't we all just be friends?" Molly said. "And if violence comes looking for you? What are you going to do if a Hellhound shows up at your doorstep?" "Give up, Bore. Evokers and thot just don't see eye to eye on this. Ain't ever happening. I'm just going to go ahead." "Okay, see you shortly, Katie," he said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:59 am

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628030749-1

"Yeah, Katie, see you shortly. Brainless goon," Molly said. "Be nice. Katie's a bit rough, but her hert is in the right place," Bore said. "Whatever. So you're American?" "Yeah, I'm from Maryland. You?" "Well, I'm originally from Surrey, but I went to college at UCLA. Fiat Lux!" she said. "It's weird. I'd never heard of magic back home. I didn't know there were any courses." "It's like, obviously Elsewhere in America is a totally Native American thing. White people just didn't get how magic works there, and there was just a lot of unpleasantness." "So Elsewhere here, and there, are different?" he said. "No, but it's like... the Gods of the Native Americans just don't like all these white invaders. And the Gods and elves and whateve of Europe, they're not there. So obviously people just assume magic doesn't work, and stop believing in it." "But... I never saw any courses for this when I went to college." "Well, UCLA is kinda leading the way, it's the first college in America to offer Magic classes. And of course the develpoment of the MM 3.0 summoning circles really help a lot," she said. "So this is a new course?" "Yeah, it's one of the most innovative and inclusive in the world. Totally modern, totally smashing the systems and learning new stuff." "So UCLA teachers Evokers and Enchanters and everything now?" Bore said. "Of course not. Like, that stuff is totally old. And it doesn't work with the Native knowledge, anyway. No, this is purely Ceremonial Magic, and I can't think of a better place to do it than in LA. It's like the city at the heart of modern culture." "So why are you back here?" "Well, you know how it is... my mum went to Harrogate's with Sarah, and they're like besties. So she wanted me to study with her, she's like a legend among Ceremonial Magicians. So I'm really lucky to be here," Molly said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628030901-1

"Hey, Emily!" "Greetings, Bore. Do you know where our classroom today is?" "Absolutely no idea. And the name is pretty weird as well, Lecture Theater DGN1," he said. "Oh, that's totally normal. Ceremonial Magic lecture theaters are always located underground. Obviously," Molly said. "Obviously... Why?" Bore said. "Well, you know... the MM 3.0 vircles are like so much better than the old ones. But even perfection sometimes isn't guaranteed, and so it's best to keep it somewhere contained. You know." "I know." "Am I the only one confused by this exchange?" Emily said. "No." "Who are you, anyway?" Molly wondered. "Let me introduce her Royal Highness Princess Emily Pendragon, Heir to the Court in Exile," bore said. "Oh, wow. I'm like a super big fan of yours. I think it's such an awesome thing that Arthur's legacy is still alive, and there's still this magical Court," Molly said. "Well, that went better than with Katie, at least." "Thanks. Molly, right? I think the three of us will be doing Ceremonial Magic together. I hope it will be a fun and educational time," Emily said. "Of course." "Thanks, Princess Emily. I think we've got so much in common. It will be great to spend more time together. I'll see you at the ceremonial chamber in the basement. The staircase is next to the main Lecture theater," Molly said. "Thanks."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628031017-1

"Well. I could have done without having to deal with someone like that here," Emily said. "In what way?" Bore wondered. "The Court is full of her ilk. Always licking up and kicking down. I was hoping the Old World would be more people like you, and fewer people like her." "Are you sure?" "Trust me on this, you learn early at court to distinguish a real smile from a fake one," she said. "Can you tell me more about Ceremonial Magic? I have really no idea what this is about." "Nether do I. It is not practises at the Court, and it was not one of the major branches of Magic when my father studied here. It shall be interesting." "Seemed like it s a big branch these days, based on the number of students," he said. "Indeed. Shall we go?" "Sure." "She said it was down the staircase?" Emily said. "Ah, over there!" "This is... quite strange. I wonder why it is located in the basement?" "We'll find out, I guess," Bore said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:31 am

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628031105-1

"Well... this is somewhat different," Emily said. "It's more dungeon than University classroom. Now I'm curious," Bore said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628031120-1

"Welcome, students, to my class. Here you will learn the ancient secrets of Ceremonial Magic," Sarah said. "Okay... this got interesting. I like the dress code," Bore said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628031137-1

"Yeah, Sarah is totally oldschool. It's so cool," Molly said. "Hey, I'm not complaing," Bore said. "Before there were Enchanters, before Magic entered the human bloodlines, the race of Man and Elsewhere mingled. This, then, is the birth of Ceremonial Magic," Sarah said. "Okay." "Whether it is a young shepherdess at a spring near Mycenae, or a young maid in Nazaret, Gods and creatures from beyond have long lusted for humans. The beautiful younfg virgin in irresistable to the denizens of Elsewhere." "Wait. Virgins? Katie, don't tell me..." Bore said. "Not me. Ain't nothing to do in Bellanoch but get drunk, watch sheep and fudge. Often all three at the same time. Occasionally with the sheep, if there ain't any willing partners around," Katie said. "Yeah, you don't strike me as a blushing virgin." "Shhh! I want to listen to this!"Molly said. "Okay." "Historically, interacting with Outsider tended to not be a process easy to control, or repeat, but with the advent of the MM magical circles we have grown to mastery of the process," Sarah said. "Hmm?" "And with the new MM 3.0, unfortunate accidents are practically a thing of the past. Ceremonial Magic has come a long way, and is now among the most influential schools of magic." "If you say so," he said. "Now, each of us can reach out and almost touch the divine. To draw inspiration and power from the forces of Elsewhere. To glory in the presence of Magic and Mystery." "I see." "To whore yourself out to creatures from beyond for fun and profit," Katie whispered. "Be nice, Katie," he said. "As I was saying, Miss Maclachlan, if you would kindly pay attention. To touch the divine, and draw power from it. This is the heart of Ceremonial Magic," Sarah said. "And the MM circle thingy?" "The MM 3.0 Circle. It ensures that there are boundaries, and allows humans some degree of control over the encounter." "I see." "Here, let me demonstrate," Sarah said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628031333-1

"What. The. fudge," Bore said. "Ah. Great. A fecking Defiler. I hate Defilers," Katie said. "I'm sure as hell not touching that divine." "What did you expect? Gods and Elvel Lords don't ned to show up for some glorified camwhores. The creatures that do show up tend to be the less savoury inhabitants of Elsewhere." "What the hell is it here for?" Bore said. "Yesss, Madam Sarah... we meet again. And I can ssssmell the delicioussss ssscent of virgins. What performance are they putting on for me today? Are the two young onesss lesssbian?" the Defiler said. "Katie... tell me this isn't what it seems like?" Bore said. "Oh, yeah... it's totally a monster peepshow," she said. "You've got to be shitting me." "I like the little brunette... sssshe's unsssullied. What I wouldn't give for jussst an hour or two with her. Alone," the creature said. "Keep your fucking eyes off Emily, you freak," Bore said. "The innocent onesss tassste the sssweetesssst. Essspecially their sssscreamsssss asss they break. Deliciousss screamssss," the Defiler said. "So the Magic Circle prevets it from coming through?" "Yeah, it blocks most forms of energy. Unfortunately. But Defilers ain't that smart, watch this," Katie said. "Huh?" "Ha! You have fallen for our plan, Foul Creature. You stand before a Princess of the Blood, and two of the Swords of Mankind," she continued. "Miss Maclachlan! Do not disrupt the ritual!" Sarah said. "You call this a divine ritual?" Bore said. "Prepare to meet your doom! Evokers, call fire on mt command!" Katie said. "I'm game." "God dammit Maclachlan, you're as much a menace as your father," Sarah said. "On your mark, Katie..." Bore said. "3... 2... "1. Wait. Where did it go?" he said. "Hahahahahah." "Well, that went well." "Miss Maclachlan. Will you please stop disripting my class," Sarah said. "Oops," Bore giggled. "That fecking thing is lucky it had a Magic circle surrounding it, or it would be going home extra crispy. I've seen what those things do to people they catch," Katie said. "Which is...?"

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628031545-1

"Be that as it may, Miss Maclachlan. It was safely contained. As a reward you can write me up a paper on the historial significance of summoning circles. Due next Monday, 10 pages or more, please," Sarah said. "Are you okay, Emily?" Bore said. "Defilers are occasionally a problem for Glades surrounding the Court, Katie is correct... these are not friends of mostals. The name is no accident, I would rather die than be captured by one," she said. "So... how does thios work again, Professor Sarah?" he said. "The Magic Circle provides a limited portal between Elsewhere and our world. Through it we can summon a creature from beyond, and engage with them," the teacher said. "But... why?" "They're magical cam-whores, Bore. The creature comes here, and then pay wit magical essence or gems for a show," Katie said. "Huh." "That is unhelpfully harsh, Katie. We merely provide an acceptable way for the creatures of Elsewhere to engage with humans, for mutual benefit," Sarah said. "Female. Human. Virgins?" "Well, it works better with virgins. Something about the aura of the summonong itself. And of course they pay more for virgins." "Ad so they... pay? How? And for what?" he said. "It donates energy through the portal, which is then transferre to the Ceremonial Magician," Sarah said. "And what do I... do... to get it to pay?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:42 pm

"Well, Bore, nobody will pay for you. Apart from being a man, and not a virgin, you're also an Evoker. This course will focus on the theory and history underpinning Ceremonial Magic. Some mental practices, that sort of thing," Sarah said. "I guess," he said. "Crown Princess Pendragon can join us with the actual rituals, if she so chooses, but as a full Enchanter she doesn't really need to." "Why?" "Ceremonial Magicians are not born with the Spark for Magic, unlike the three of you. Working with Outsiders allow us to borrow energy from them, letting us use Magic for various purposes. It's the true democratization of Magic," she said. "Oh? I see. So you're normies?" "That is not a very polite term, Bore. And as ceremonial Magicians we are formally considered mages. Merely born without the Spark." "I see," he said. " Apart from that, this course is primarily graded on coursework. You'll be working in groups of two. Let me see... Katie I think you should be pairing up with, ah yes... Molly," Sarah said. "Sounds like we're working together, Emily," Bore said. "It does indeed seem so, dear knight. I look forward to working with you," she said. "Katie looks pissed, though."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628031823-1

"Normie slut," Katie said. "Brainless thug," Molly said. "Yeah, that group dynamic is going to be interesting," Bore said. "Here is your first assignment, yo be completed by next Monday. Kindly refrain from opening the envelope until you are ready to start the task," Sarah said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628031853-1

"How should we do this, Emily?" he said. "I could come over to your place, tomorrow afternoon?" she said. "Sure, that works." "I have a class on artificial gem creation now. It's quite fascinating what they are able to do with modern manufacturing." "Okay, i'll let you go. See you tomorrow," Bore said. Hopefully you will enjoy the group work, Bore," Sarah said. "I'm sure I will," he said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628031926-1

"Urgh. This group work is going to suck. Why couldn't they have paired me up with you instead?" Katie said. "Probably figured we'd have things to learn from someone who's not an Evoker?" Bore said. "Or she's being a bitch because she enjoys being a bitch. I'm going to go with option 2." "Likely. What are you doing now?" "Dunno about you. I'm hitting the gym, I've got frustrations to take out, and some bags to break," she said. "Hey, I might join you for that later. see you, Katie," he said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628032017-1

"You here to work?" the sorceress said. "So... Chloe. You wouldn't have any... gems... to sell? Or trade?" Bore said. "Why are you acting like you're buying drugs?" "It just feels weird. Okay, so I need some better gems for my staff. Do you have any to sell?" "No," she said. "Thanks, I knew... wait. No? What do you mean 'No'?" "I meant No. No means No. I don't have any gems to sell." "So... you don't use gems?" he said. "Of course I use gems. All mages do, they're way to useful to ignore." "But you don't have any to spare?" "Tons of them. More than I know what to do with," Chloe said. "But you're not going to sell any to me?" "No." "Oh, I get it. You're going to give them to me, to help me in my quest?" Bore said. "No." "Then what?" "Look around the bar, Bore. What is missing?" she said. "Foosball table." "No. Customers. Specifically, the right kind of customers. I didn't acquire the deed to the Aleister Crowley to turn it into a dive bar for tourists." "I notice the word purchase didn't factor into that statement," he said. "Clever boy. Now. What I need to kickstart this pub-venture is ingredients." "Ingredients?" "Yeah, I'm setting up a partnership with MagePunk, the acclaimed potion brewer in Aberdeen. Aleister Crowley will become the outlet for a series of unique magic alcohols, found nowhere else," she said. "And this will lead to mages coming here... to drink?" "Now you see!" "No," Bore said, still as confused as ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:30 pm

"Look, it's simple. I need ingredients. Magic ingredients. So I can make a line of unique magical alcoholic beverages, and make the Crowley famous. Throughout this world, and the others!" Chloe said. "What's this got to do with my gems?" Bore wondered. "Those ingredients can only be harvested in Elsewhere. I could get them myself. But I've got this strapping young Evoker, just itching to tackle the dangers of the Paths, and bring fame and fortune back." "There's a minor wrinkle in your plan, Chloe. If I don't have the right gear, I'll get eaten, and you won't get your ingredients." "Damn. You've got a point. Okay, here. This gem should help you out a little. Never say I'm not generous," she said. "Ah. So I bring magical stuff from... elfland, or whatever. And in return you'll trade me gems?" "Or cash, if you prefer. A free mind and a free market are corollaries." "So what do I need to do?" he wondered. "The name of the pub is not accidental. This was the townhouse of Aleister Crowley, a world famous psychic. One of the keys to his fame was a rare portal to Elsewhere, in the basement of this building." "Hey, that's cool. I should check it out." "So. Remember our deal. You find me the cool ingredients in Elsewhre, I'll buy them off you, or trade you for rare gems," Chloe said. "It's a deal," Bore said.
He decided to check the portal out in the basement...

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628032820-1

"Elsewhere's a dangerous place. I really don't want to head in there without allies. I should find someone who knows more about this, if I want to survive the experience."
It was off to University...

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628032903-1

"Hey, my dude. How's things?" Dylan said. "Lots of things to think about, but I can't complain," Bore said. "Cool. So, I wanted to chat with you about what Torman said. About Battle Healers." "Sure? I'm actually the wrong person to ask, I don't know anything about Magic in general." "No, I know all the theory. But I've got no clue how to go about doing any of it," Dylan said. "I think it's basically what we did last time with the dog, right? We find something bad, I'll take the fron line, you back me up and heal me. Right?" "But... where? Do we just wander around University, hoping to be ambushed by another Hellhound?" "No, I thought about going into Elsewhere. There's a portal in the basement of the building I live in, so..." Bore said. "A portal? To Elsewhere? But... those are rare. Like super rare. The only two I know of nearby are at the Court Embassy and the University." "I guess Sorcerers have a way to find the things they need. Anyway, Chloe has one in the basement, and she's sending me in to look for ingredients in Elsewhere." "That sounds incredibly dangerous. What kind of ingredients? Is it for Magic potions?" Dylan said. "She wants to make magic booze. I'm not even kidding." "But you could be risking your life for this. That's crazy." "I need to get stronger. Going into Elsewhere seems the best way to gain that strength. Now, I could use a Battle healer to help me," Bore said. "shit. Going into Elsewhere. On an epic quest..." "... to help Chloe make magic hooch, yes." "Still. It's crazy. But I'd never forgive myself if I missed out on it," Dylan said. "So, you're in?" "Hell yeah. Dylan Faye, Battle Healer reporting for duty!" "Awesome. Now I just need to find Katie," Bore said. "Oh?" "she's fun. And dangerous. Seems a good combination to bring when you're exploring Elsewhere." "Makes sense. I saw her over by the offices," Dylan said. "Cool, let's see if we can find her," Bore said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628033113-1

"Hey, Bore," she said. "There you are, Katie. I was looking for you," he said. "Aye? Torman called me in to shout at me for missin' classes. What're here for?" "So, I was talking to Chloe abou the gems." "And?" Katie said. "And she mentioned she has a Portal to Elsewhere in the basement." "Wait. So you have an actiual working Portal? That we can use?" "Yeah. Chloe wanted me to find ingredients for her Magic Moonshine. You interested?" Bore said. "In the Magic booze, or the portal?" "Both?" "Oh, aye. To both. Using the portal at the University's a pain. And unlike back home, there ain't no convenient stone circle I can use to enter Elsewhere. I've been fucking itching to get back to the Paths," she said. "So you're in?" "Guck yeah. Ya couldnae stop me if ye tried." "Cool," he said. "Okay, I'll head back to the Gym for my kit. See you guys at the Crowley in half an hour?" "Wait. You want to do this now?" "Aye? I ain't fecking waiting. You have no idea how much I need to blow some steam on the Paths. Especially after the chewing out Torman gave me," Katie said. "Okay. So... half an hour, the Crowley?" "Yeah, I ain't dressed for Elsewhere. You guys should wear something a little more protective as well." "Sure," Bore said. "What kind of clothing do we need? I don't actually have any magic Platemail," Dylan said. "Probably just something comfortable and hard-wearing. Jeans, a good jacket, that kind of thing." "Makes sense. Let me grab some stuff from my dorm, and I'll see you at the Crowley as well." "Sounds like a plan. I'll head home and change as well," Bore said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wotan Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:24 pm

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628033256-1

"Let's see. I've got these old work jeans. That should do, and if I get blood or something on them, it's not a big deal. Let's head down to the basement, and wait for the rest of them."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628033313-1

"Bore, buddy, I love your outfite," Dylan said. "What can I say, great minds think alike," he said. "So, that's the portal, huh." "Yeah. Looks a bit freaky, to be honest. I really don't know what to expect from this." "It loos like something from a SciFi movie. Like Star Gate or something," Dylan said. "Yeah. Well, hopefully Katie knows how to use it." "Speaking of which, I think that's her coming down the stair now." "Hey, Katie. We're down here," Bore said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628033347-1

"What in the name of Odin's cock are you guys wearing? Ya look like a couple of rejects from Brokeback Mountain," Katie said. "I don't see you dressed any better," Bore said. "Well, I ain't traipsing around Edinburgh wearing armour, now am I. But fudge, you guys can't enter Elsewhere dressed like that." "Why not?" "Cause there's things that spit acid? Fire? With claws and teeth and spikey bits and pieces. Evokers are tough, but there's no reason to be stupid," she said. "So what do we do?" "Feck. I'm gonna have to call in a favor. This one's gonna cost ya, Bore." "How?" he said. "Dunno. We'll work it out. Let me just get on the phone." "Sure." "Hey, dearthàir. Ah gotta beg a favor from ya. Could you have someone drop off two suits at the Crowley down at the Royal Mile? Ah'm takin' a couple of virgins into the Paths, and they ain't dressed for this," Katie said. "Virgins?" "Yeah, sure, they'll sign up. Ain't got no choice anyways." "Sign up?" Bore wondered. "Ai, thanks dearthàir. I owe you a big one. If you see mum, let her know ah'm doing fine, and ah'm not drinking too much." "Who was that?" "My brother. He's heading the Rapid Reaction Squad at the Castle this month. Damned lucky for you he's there," Katie said. "What kind of rapid reaction force?" "Well, if something nasty comes out from Elsewhere, someone's got to set it o fire, right? So there's a team of battlemages and a Chinook up at the Barracks. Anything happens they're in the air inside 3 minutes." "What kind of suit are we tlking about?" Bore wondered. "You'll see mine, I guess. Where can I change?" "You can use the bathroom upstairs." "Sounds good. I'll be right back," she said. "See you soon." "So what do you think this suit looks like?" Dylan said. "Some kind of military gear, I guess?" Bore said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628033545-1

"Back," Katie said. "Looking good. Is that the same one we're getting?" Bore said. "Yeah. Atlas-3 magic battle armour. Woven kevlar over ceramic plates, backed by shock-absorbing gel, and about a hundred thousand quids worth of Enchantments. Fireproof, Acid poof, and somewhat stab-proof." "Somewhat?" "Aye. Now, these things cost a fortune. So don't you go losing them," she said. "And just hoe are we paying for them?" "Militia equipment. Free of charge in the exchange for your service." "Do I want to know what kind of services you're signing me up for?" Bore said. "We're militia now?" Dylan said. "Sounds like it. I have no idea what any of this means." "Just means that if there's a major incursion, you drop whatever you're doing and come running," Katie said. "So I'm being signed in to the British Army? Is that even legal for an American?" Bore said. "Paramilitary. Look, for you it's a formality. Evokers are considered Militia by definition... Sword of Mankind and all that. Dylan can still back out, but if he wants to be a battle healer he'll have to sign up eventually." "What does it involve?" "Nothing you wouldn't do anyway. It means if there's an attack too big for the Rapid Reaction Squad to handle, you'll come help. Like a band of defilers descend on Princess Street, you'd rush to help out, right?" she said. "Damned right." "Wouldn't be an Evoker if you didn't. Doesn't happen often, anyway. Incursions are rare, and the Battlemages of the Squad can handle most thing. I've only been called up twice in 5 years." "So you signed up at 16?" he said. "Aye? They wouldnae take me any earlier. Tried lying about my age when I was 15, but my brother found out. Gave me quite a thrashing," Katie said. "I think someone's coming."

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628033715-1

"There's a delivery for you, Bore. And a pair of contracts," Chloe said. "I guess I should read those," he said. "Best of luck. They're more or less unchanged since the 18th century, so the legalese is even worse than normal. Give up, and just sign in blood on the dotted line," she said. "Blood?" "Aye? How do you think they'd Call you? By WhatsApp?" Katie said. "I don't know? A phone call, like a normal person?" Bore said. "These are mages, not normies. Given the choice between solving something by magic or mundane means, they'll always pick magic. You wouldn't believe their whining when the Squad replaced magic horses with the Chinook," Chloe said. "But... blood? How..." "Oh, don't be a baby. Give me your hand," she said.
Chloe pricked Brore's finger.
"Ouch!" "Just hurry up and sign, already. There's an open portal just waiting for me. Treasure to find, monsters to slay," Katie said. "You okay, Dylan?" Bore said. "... just... okay. Yes, I guess I am. Shit, I'm actually signing up for the fucking militia. My dad's gonna have a heart attack when he finds out," he said. "See the many worlds, kill their inhabitants." "I came here to become a surgeon, you know. Good money, but the hours suck. How did I end signing a militia contract in blood?" Dylan said. "You just hung out with the wrong people. Now hurry up, I want to check out the new toys." "There. Done." "Are you militia as well, Chloe?" Bore wondered. "Are you crazy?No way. Enjoy the Paths, and don't forget my ingredients!" she said.

Love of Magic Book 1 (of 3) Completed 20220628033827-1

"See you," Bore said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next